Speedo cable interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo cable interchangeability

So I pulled my 84 Kat out of hibernation today, only to remember that the speedo cable broke last fall just before I parked it.

Looking up the cable number on cmsnl.com brings up this part number:
    34910-08A00.
    Alpha sports lists this cable part number for 26 dollars and some odd cents, but doesn't reveal which model it fits.

I'd like to look at a few other retailers to price compare but without the model and year, it's difficult at best.

Anybody know which other model this part number fits?

Incidentally, my 84 Katana 750 is about the same as an 83 GS750E or 85 GS700E, but a part number search on these two models reveals a different part number.

I suspect it shares parts with the 84/85 1150E as well, but again, speedo part numbers are different.

Any help is super appreciated!

I would think the different part numbers are in relation to the different lengths of the cables that you cited.

Comment

You're probably right Don, but I tried the cable from my 82 Kat and the end that goes into the drive at the wheel is different, won't fit. I'm concerned about this more than I am the length....

Comment

Question: of the two sites you mention, one has all their pricing in Euros, the other is the most expensive American site we know of.
        Do you not know about the others that are quite popular here?
        BassCliff has a good list of them in his welcome page, along with comments, but here is my list:

Alpha Sports
        Babbittsonline
        Bike Bandit
        Carolina Cycle
        Cycle Parts Nation
        CYCLE-RE-CYCLE
        Full throttle
        Motogrid
        MR Cycles
        PartShark
        Partsnmore
        Ron Ayers
        Z1 Enterprises

Not all of these have all the OEM parts that you might need, but are good sources for what they do carry.
        Many other suppliers out there, so please don't limit your search.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I've seen your list and was looking at Babbits (which I find typically to be the least expensive) but they don't list the 84 pop up Kats (GSX750SE) as they never came to the states.

CMSNL is the only place I've found that lists the 84 GSX 750SE; they used to list all the other machines that particular part was used on - they apparently no longer do that.

I then went to alphasports knowing they use Suzuki's part numbers to list parts with, unlike, say, Bikebandit who assigns their own proprietary number. Unfortunately, allphasports doesn't show which model the part is used on, thereby making it difficult to look up on other web sites that do not feature a parts fiche for an 84 GSX 750SE.

I guess one way to ensure compatibility of the ends is to look up speedo gearbox at the wheel; this might give some insight into which models use the same speedo drive.....

Comment

Had I just done a part number search (which I did on Babbitts) at Carolina Cycle, I would have been in business without all this interchangeability nonsense (although it would be good to know).

I did discover that babbitts fiche for a 1984 GS1150 shows the same speedo gear box part number, so presumably, a speedo cable for that model would fit my 84 Kat 750....

Thanks for your help!

Comment

These are the models that use that part number.

Part # = 34910-08A00
              Part Description = CABLE ASSEMBLY,SPEEDOMETER
              Model Count = 5
              GSX1150ESG 1986 1135 GSX1150ES STREET
              GSX550LD 1983 572 GSX550L STREET
              GS1100ESE 1984 1100 GS1100ES STREET
              GS1150ESF 1985 1135 GS1150ES SPORT
              GS550LF 1985 549 GS550L STREET

According to the Alpha Sports website there is no '84 750 KAT.

The part number you gave is listed above, but as you can see it does not list the '84 750 KAT amongst them.

The '83 KAT seems to be the last one made according to the Fiches, mind you I am not a KAT expert. And this KAT has a different part number than the one you quoted.

The '83 KAT speedo cable details are as follows and only fits three models from 1983.

Part # = 34910-49311
              Part Description = CABLE ASSEMBLY,SPEEDOMETER
              Model Count = 3
              GSX750SD 1983 747 GSX750S KATANA SPORT
              GS1100ESD 1983 1100 GS1100ES STREET
              XN85D 1983 673 XN85 TURBO SPORT
              Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2010, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                CMSNL is the only place I've found that lists the 84 GSX 750SE; they used to list all the other machines that particular part was used on - they apparently no longer do that.

I then went to alphasports knowing they use Suzuki's part numbers to list parts with, unlike, say, Bikebandit who assigns their own proprietary number. Unfortunately, allphasports doesn't show which model the part is used on, thereby making it difficult to look up on other web sites that do not feature a parts fiche for an 84 GSX 750SE.
                Bike Bandit is the only place in my list that uses their own numbering system, all the others use official Suzuki numbers.

Most of the sites have a reverse search feature, but Babbitt's and Motogrid will also give you the application list to show everything else that it fits.
                You bring up the idea of a non-US bike. Not sure if those application lists will show them or not.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the list Don, I was trying to come up with that very thing.
                  In 1984 Suzuki redesigned the Katana based on the 83 750 engine and chassis, but with some minor changes to the frame and cams/timing. This makes most parts completely incompatible with the 81-83 Katanas, as they are air cooled while the 84 began the era of air/oil cooling for the Katanas.

The difficulty always arrives when I mention 1984 Katana. Dealerships will tell me till they're blue in the face that Suzuki never made a Katana in 1984. To which I usually reply "Go look in the parking lot. I have one sitting out there right now". Good for some laughs and also good for some very frustrating interactions.

Steve, I didn't know that bikebandit is the only one to do their own numbering system. To be honest, I've only ever ordered parts from them or Dennis Kirk because they seem to be the most well known and/or it was just easier. Carolina Cycle's reverse search feature is how I came up with the part to order - a handy tidbit of information, that.

I've never seen the 84 Katana GSX 750SE listed on any website outside of cmsnl.com and they're located in Belgium, I think, so sometimes finding parts can be an interesting experience (but then again, I've only ever ordered from BB or DK, and neither of them list this model).

I've learned, however, that the front brake calipers are the same as on an 85 550E/ES, and that the fork lowers match the 1150, the wheels and rear brakes are the same as the 83/85 750/700E series. The motor and airbox come out of the 83 750/85 700 with a different sprocket cover (to accomodate a hydraulic operated clutch) and changes in cam. Now with the speedo cable information, seems about all the common wear items are accounted for....

Oh yeah, fork seals are the same as on my 82 Katana, too.
                  Thanks again!
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X