• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

centerstand/ jack

My new to me 1100E has no centerstand :x

Will one from a different GS work guys

If not, any ideas on which jack stand is good and not too $$$$$$$$

I need one , can't believe it doesn't have one, how do you guys lube the chain and stuff? I won't leave it on the sidestand all winter so I need help here!!!!

Re: centerstand/ jack

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
    My new to me 1100E has no centerstand :x

Will one from a different GS work guys

If not, any ideas on which jack stand is good and not too $$$$$$$$

I need one , can't believe it doesn't have one, how do you guys lube the chain and stuff? I won't leave it on the sidestand all winter so I need help here!!!!
    I know for sure the 82 1100E centerstand would work (that's obvious though, huh?).
    Not sure about the older ones, Hap might know if the 80/81 would work.
    I checked the 1100 against the 1150 and the mounting dimensions appear to be the same but the stand itself is different. The 1150's is curved along it's height and 1100 is straight. So I don't know about that one.

Comment

Here you go. Someone parting out an 82.

Just occurred to me. You'll want to make sure you get the whole thing. The sleeves at the pivot points, the return spring and the bolts and castle nuts.

Comment

Welcome to my world Mikey! My ZRX not only has no center stand, it has the most spindly looking side stand I have ever seen on a 500+ pound bike. I too am searching for a reasonable bike stand. So far changing tires requires going to a dealership and lubing the chain a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
          Welcome to my world Mikey! My ZRX not only has no center stand, it has the most spindly looking side stand I have ever seen on a 500+ pound bike. I too am searching for a reasonable bike stand. So far changing tires requires going to a dealership and lubing the chain a pain.
          My son's 2002 SV650 has no centerstand, so we will probably get an aftermarket one made specifically for the SV next year. In the meantime, we made a simple contraption to help the chain lubing:

1) put a 4 cm (about 1 1/2 inch) metric bolt in the swinging arm spool mounting point.
          2) Use a 2-by-4, cut to appropriate length, so that when placed under the aforementioned bolt and the bike rocked on the sidestand, the rear wheel comes about an inch off the ground.

This isn't the most stable arrangement around (I wouldn't rely on it for removing the rear wheel) but it is sufficient to enable you to rotate the wheel while lubing the chain......and it is very cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
            Check this out. http://zrxoa.org/spotlightarchive.html
            Couldn't find their actaul website. They used to have one though, I've seen it before. Doesn't look like something like this would be terribly hard to make.

Comment

On some bikes, you can put the cheap,simple jack stands under each side of the swingarm. Sometimes the chain or brake bar gets in the way, other times they don't. If you're careful when removing the wheel, they are secure enough.Same for lubing. Still need a buddy to help you lift it up though.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I havent had a centre stand on the GS for 20 years (but I do miss it!). For trips I carry a prop stand that goes under the frame rail and you tilt the bike on the side stand to lift the back wheel. At home I used a race stand off a GSX1100 - fits the tube swingarm ok.

The riding ground clearance is ok tho just to make up....

Comment

Maybe you should try to get someting like this:

It's a universal stand, that goes under the swingarm.
                  They cost about 50-60 Euros over here.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                    Maybe you should try to get someting like this:

It's a universal stand, that goes under the swingarm.
                    They cost about 50-60 Euros over here.
                    Saw something similar in J.C.Whitney catalog. Might just order one of those. The other alternative I thought about was screwing some heavy duty eyebolts into the ceiling joists of my garage and using a pair of ratcheting tiedown straps with the rubber hooks on each end people use to strap down their ATVs and bikes onto trailers. Attached to the front or rear of the bike it might allow tire changes and chain lubes by allowing the bike to hang from the eyebolts. Just a thought.

Comment

Here's one for you

Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Thanks Doug Buddy!!

I looked at the micro-fiche that came with the bike and have also emailed part numbers to some places to see if they could find one as well.

Think I'll go bid!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
                          Thanks Doug Buddy!!

I looked at the micro-fiche that came with the bike and have also emailed part numbers to some places to see if they could find one as well.

Think I'll go bid!
                          Keep in mind that you'll need the sleeves that go at the pivot points and it would be easier to have the original bolts, although these could probably be found at a hardware store.

Comment

[quote="Michael Falke The other alternative I thought about was screwing some heavy duty eyebolts into the ceiling joists of my garage and using a pair of ratcheting tiedown straps with the rubber hooks on each end people use to strap down their ATVs and bikes onto trailers. Attached to the front or rear of the bike it might allow tire changes and chain lubes by allowing the bike to hang from the eyebolts. Just a thought.[/quote]

I've put a very large ring with a backing plate going thru my barns ceiling. I have a boat winch, with a doubling block. I use some nylon strap like what's in the ratchet straps to hook onto the bike frame. I can then very easily lift the entire bike 5 ft in the air if I want to. Not quite as quick as the center stand for oiling the chain, but it's real nice to be able to lift the bike to eye level if you want to.

Comment

Michael - I told you in another post you can have the one off my 80 1100E for shipping costs. I can post a pic if you need to see what it looks like.

I took it off in 83 to put on a header.

Without a center stand the easiest way to lube the chain is to tilt the bike over on the side stand until the rear wheel is off the ground. It's kind of tricky to lube the chain this way without a friend but it can be done - I've done it many times. With a friend it's a piece of cake.

Edit - It looks a lot like the pic Craig posted. but not all beat up! It only has 3 years of service on it.

Also, those rear lifts are nice. I use one on my GSXR.

Comment

Working...
                              X