Bleeding brakes on GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding brakes on GS850

I need some clarifications on bleeding both the front and rear brakes on my bike.
    Clymer shows 2 bleeders on the single rear brake and 1 bleedr on the front, which actually has two calipers....

In the front- do I need to bleed both sides separately, or are they all connnected?

And in the rear, do I need to do anything with the 2nd bleeder after Ive bled from the first one sufficiently?

Thanks,
    Chris

Both at once

I recently did that little task and bled both at the same time with two tubes. I 'm pretty sure you could do them separately if you wanted to as I just alternated between the two. Be sure to use clear tubing so you can see the color of the fluid and the bubbles and.....be patient; it takes a number of squeezes. It's best to have someone help you. Good luck
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

well, i snapped the rear bleeder off.....

do i have any recourse, with common tools to get it out?

if i do have to take it to the shop, will they need the whole assembly off the bike? i can do this myself(hopefully with a gentler touch) to save som labor charges, unless they can tap it or whatever while it is on the bike.

any help appreciated,
      Thanks
      Chris

Comment

i hate broken bleeders...i had no luck with them on my old 750 honda.

Comment

SOMETIMES, you can get away with just cracking the hose or line connection at the caliper, instead of a bleeder. Notice I said SOMETIMES. Remember, these are brakes you're dealing with. If they're not working as they should be, fix them. Some people may disagree, put personally, I can't go fast without brakes. 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Bleeding

One the front bleed both sides. They are connected but way up under the headlight. Get the air and old fluid out of both sides. As for the back you only need to use one or the other bleeder to get the back ones done. If you have to till you get the bleeder replaced. Loosen the nut at the banjo fitting to bleed them out but not to far. You will have a mess to clean off of the bike of course so wear gloves.

Comment

Working...
            X