camshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camshafts

MY BIKE IS A 84 GS1150E THAT I'M PLANNING ON RESTORING THIS WINTER. I BOUGHT THE BIKE 9 YEARS AGO WITH 13000 KM'S ON THE OD, AND I ONLY RAN THE BIKE FOR ONE YEAR AND PUT 4000 KM'S ON IT. WHEN I STARTED LOOKING AT HER TO SEE WHAT PARTS I DO NEED, I NOTICED THAT THE CAMSHAFTS WERE BELOW THE LIMIT ON THE LOBES. THE ONLY HISTORY THAT I HAVE FOUND OUT IS THAT SHE HAS SPENT MOST OF HER LIFE ON THE ROADCOURSE TRACK. WHAT I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT IS THIS NORMAL FOR THE CAMSHAFTS TO BE WORN THIS FAR OR IS THERE SOMTHING THAT I DID WRONG. WHEN I GET IT RUNNING AGAIN I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN AGAIN. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

John,

How did you take your measurements? Did you use a micrometer? Was this *out-of-tolerance* measurement consistant across all the lobes or just one? Just curious....

Cragar 8)

Comment

CAMSHAFTS

I TOOK THE MEASUREMENTS WITH A MICROMETER, ALL OF THE LOBES WHERE BELOW EXCEPTABEL LIMITS ON BOTH CAMSHAFTS. ONE THING I FORGOT TO MENTION IS WHEN I BOUGHT THE BIKE IT HAD SAT FOR A FEW YEARS IN A SHED, AND I DIDN'T LUBE ANYTHING ON THE TOP END BEFORE STARTING IT, COULD THIS HAVE CAUSED MY PROBLEM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I'M GOING TO NEED LOTS OF HELP WITH THIS PROJECT.

Comment

check the marking on the cams . are they stock? if it was road raced they may not be. if the bike has after market cams it may hav had after market valve spings too. somtimes they will cause accelerated cam wear. what cams do plan on replacing them with? I am using cam motion g-4s and love them. they move your power up about 1000 rpm so the bike will pull hard to 10,000 rpm were as the stock cams stop making power around 8,800

Comment

CAMSHAFTS

I'M NOT SURE WHAT KIND OF MARKINGS TO LOOK FOR, BUT I THINK THAT THEY ARE STOCK CAMS, BECAUSE WHEN I DID RIDE THE BIKE SHE LOST POWER AT ABOUT 85OO RPM'S, BUT THAT COULD BE BECAUSE OF THE WORN CAMS. ABOUT USING THE AFTERMARKET CAMSHAFTS THAT YOU ARE USING IS THE POWER EVEN THROUGHTOUT THE RPM RANGE, BECAUSE MINE USED TO HAVE A SLIGHT LAPSE IN POWER ABOUT 4000, RPM AND THAN PULL STRONG FROM 6000 TO 8500. ALSO I WAS JUST WONDERING IF IT WOULD HURT THE ENGINE TO TAKE IT ABOVE THE 9000 RPM REDLINE. THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG PROJECT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Comment

Re: CAMSHAFTS

Originally posted by JOHN T.
            I'M NOT SURE WHAT KIND OF MARKINGS TO LOOK FOR, BUT I THINK THAT THEY ARE STOCK CAMS, BECAUSE WHEN I DID RIDE THE BIKE SHE LOST POWER AT ABOUT 85OO RPM'S, BUT THAT COULD BE BECAUSE OF THE WORN CAMS. ABOUT USING THE AFTERMARKET CAMSHAFTS THAT YOU ARE USING IS THE POWER EVEN THROUGHTOUT THE RPM RANGE, BECAUSE MINE USED TO HAVE A SLIGHT LAPSE IN POWER ABOUT 4000, RPM AND THAN PULL STRONG FROM 6000 TO 8500. ALSO I WAS JUST WONDERING IF IT WOULD HURT THE ENGINE TO TAKE IT ABOVE THE 9000 RPM REDLINE. THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG PROJECT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
            the g-4s dont pull as hard as the stock cams under 4000 rpm but pull much harder after 6500 . I picked up 5 mph in the 1/4 when I switched to these cams and geared the bike accordingly. they do pull evenly till about seven thou and then hold on.

Comment

I used to bring mine up to 9500 regularly with the stock cams , and then one day I got dusted by a 1150 that had less mods than mine.. I had him good off the line and he drove around me. I was schocked cuz I wasn,t used to any body getting around me in the 1 /4. I asked him where he was shifting and he said " about 8500" "I start to shift around 8000 but by the time you actually shift its 8500" we ran again and i shifted at 8500 and he could not drive around me. moral of story after 8500 you are not making any extra power so why bother?

Comment

WOULD THESE CAMS WORK FOR ME, BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO GO AS STOCK AS POSSABLE WITH THE RESTORATION, BUT IMPROVING SOME OF THE PROBLEMS THAT THE BIKE HAS. THANK YOU.

Comment

they will work fine. they are not however "drop in cams" wich means you will need slotted cam chain sprockets and they will need to be degreed after installation. do you have camchain sprockets that have slotted holes were the sprockets attach ( in other words if you losen the bolt can you rock the sprockets from side to side?) or are they holes just big enough for the screw to go through? dot actually loosen them unless you are changing the cams.

Comment

I DON'T BELEAVE THAT THEY ARE SLOTTED SO I WELL HAVE TO CHANGE THEM, BUT THAT SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM BECAUSE I HAVE TO CHANGE THE TIMING CHAIN ANYWAYS. I WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO REJET THE CARBS BECAUSE I'M NOT SURE WHAT IS IN THEM FOR JETS, BECAUSE OF THE EXHAUST SYSTEM IS A CUSTOM MADE HEADER AND KERKER SLIP ON MUFFLERS, I PLAN ON GOING WITH A STOCK SYSTEM BECAUSE THESE ARE TO NOISY FOR STREET USE, IN THE YEAR THAT I HAD RODE THE BIKE, I GOT PULLED OVER THREE TIMES FOR EXCESSIVE NOISE LEVELS.

Comment

Hi Skip!

Have you done any other mods to the engine to run the G4:s? Meaning springs, Heavy duty chain and rockers and such.
                      I?m in the progress, in some time, to put in other camshafts since I run stock still. However I can?t recall any lack of power after 8500rpm on my bike. What is done to your engine? Love to hear details concerning the lot

P.s I think it?s ok too, to ride other bikes when the GS is up for restoration D.s

Comment

Originally posted by chrille_08
                        Hi Skip!

Have you done any other mods to the engine to run the G4:s? Meaning springs, Heavy duty chain and rockers and such.
                        I?m in the progress, in some time, to put in other camshafts since I run stock still. However I can?t recall any lack of power after 8500rpm on my bike. What is done to your engine? Love to hear details concerning the lot

P.s I think it?s ok too, to ride other bikes when the GS is up for restoration D.s
                        If you put your bike on a dyno you will see the dip or you can look at the stock test ,it shows peak hp at 8500. i have a heavy duty cam chain ,oversised valves, a mecanical tensioner, APE heavy duty studs, the crank was balanced and blueprinted by falicon, i have a welded clutch basket with the thick backing plate. I have dyna coils,dna rev limiter,dyna,s ign, high volume oil pump gears, an electric quick shift and nitrous. There is probably more i have done but i am brain dead now...skip

Comment

Hi John,

I recently bought a set of cams from a wreckers. They looked really good with virtually no signs of wear but when I checked the lobe height they were about 2mm to small. When I took them back it turned out that they originally were on a drag bike had had the backs ground down. This allows you to replace the value gap adjustment 'bolts' with longer items (of a GSXR I think) and raise the valve lifters up so that you effectivley increase the valve lift.

Any chance your cams have had similar treatment...

Comment

Working...
                          X