Sanity check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanity check

I can't keep the front brakes on my 750EX from locking up. I've rebuilt the calipers twice now and it still happens. The newly acquired 1150 has the same master cylinder as the 750 and it?s doing the same thing. There?s got to be something wrong with the cylinder right?

If I bleed the brakes the front wheel spins freely. Pump the lever a few times and they?re locked. Burp the brakes again and they?re happy. (until you touch the lever.)

I?m off to get a snap ring remover, has anyone had luck with just cleaning these things out, or should I just order the rebuild kit now?

Thanks as always,
    Sean

I don't know about the Suzuki systems but I had the same problem on the rear master cylinder on a Honda 750 I had. I tried the cleaning deal but I had to get the rebuild kit to get it right. The plunger returning creates a slight suction and pulls the pistons back into the caliper slightly to prevent heat buildup from dragging pads. Some systems have a little check valve that freezes up and causes this.

Comment

If you look into the bottom of the fluid resevoir, there are two holes that pass into the plunger cavity. The front hole tapers into a very small orifice and this hole controls the back pressure: if it is plugged, the pressure cannot release. Remove the old fluid and any gunk that may be covering the hole, release the pressure at the caliper (so the fluid doesn't shoot up into your eye) and gently poke the hole with a small strand of soft copper wire. Refill your resevoir before pumping the brake and you shouldn't have to rebleed the system.

Comment

false check valve

one thing that can happen is the rubber hose will brake from the inside and make a check valve. only way to find it is to replace the rubber lines.
        after you reclean the system and it still happens i would check for this.
        also if the brake drags it will heat the brake fluid and couse them to lock up. I had it happen on the rear.

Comment

Don wins the gold star. I didn't know that that little thing was supposed to be there. I though it was some serious pitting! I did clean it all out, tonight is reassembly.

Comment

Don,

Just wanted to give you your prize. Here it is:

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
            X