No announcement yet.

bad regulator/rectifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[/b]all the help you boys gave him and look what he posted on his web site?

Whoo hoo! My dad's 1969 Triumph Bonneville arrived today. It hitched a ride with my friend Mike's brother's U-Haul. Who cares about the Suzuki -- now I've got a real bike!

Comment

Hope they got rid of all the old Lucas garbage on the Triumph. He thinks he had problems with the Suzuki, just wait.

Comment

Okay, let me respond.

Took the GS450 out for its first extended ride the other weekend. Broke down on the way back. Some sort of electrical short since the one main fuse keeps blowing. I have poked around in the sidecovers and headlight housing to no avail so far. Since my truck is in the shop, the GS450 remains parked where it broke down.

The electrics on the Suzuki are the worst I have ever seen, on any bike. It's simply a joke how bad they are. What was Suzuki thinking using such crappy wiring on this thing? And one fuse? That's just ridiculous for a 1981 bike. I would sure like to have multiple fuses right now, because then I could at least narrow down the system that has the short.

As for a "real bike". No, I don't consider a 1981 450 twin a "real bike". Would most motorcyclists? It is a fun bike, but a "real bike"? No. More like a beginner bike, even by 1981 standards. Besides, I hate plastic. The Suzuki has plastic sidecovers that break if you look at them wrong. The Triumph has METAL sidecovers. I hate plastic. It's the worst thing that ever happened to vehicles of any kind.

A 1969 Triumph Bonneville is simply a classic. It has its faults too, don't get me wrong. Lucas Prince of Darkness electrics are not exactly known to be reliable. But hey, the thing has a kickstart. I love kickstarts! I sure wish the GS450 had one. Anyway, the Triumph is from an era of motorcyles that no longer exists. I love such classics, and frankly feel a $400 1981 Suzuki can certainly be fun, and has its merits, but is not a "real bike". Maybe this is the sort of Harley-rider posturing that I hate, but the fact of the matter is that I can go out and buy another GS450 for under $500. Not as easy with a 60's Triumph Bonneville. In a sense, the GS450 is disposable (and judging by the electrical system, was designed that way).

So yeah, I'll take a 1969 Triumph Bonneville over a 1981 GS450 any day, and I'm sure many others feel that way too. Would you rather have a 1969 muscle car or a 1981 Honda?

Carl

Comment

I've only had one electrical problem in 18 years with my bike. The stator went out. And I've always felt that was due to a smashed cover that may have damaged the windings. Without a manual to go by I replaced the R/R before realizing the stator was the problem. I really don't understand all the fear people have of the stock electrics. With occasional maintenance most of the problems can be eliminated.

Comment

Working...
          X