How warm should wires from RR be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How warm should wires from RR be?

I'm struggling with a charging problem on my 1982 GS1100G. According to the checklist on this site, the stator is okay. The RR seems to be okay (I use a Sears Craftsman multimeter whose readings don't match exactly the numbers on the chart; however, I went ahead and got a new RR and got the same readings on it as I did the old unit).

I put the new RR unit on and got around 13 volts out of it. (Let me back up here a minute. I've been on vacation for a week and the new RR unit showed up while I was gone. Of course I was in a a hurry to get the bike running, so the battery wasn't fully charged when I put the RR on. The battery showed about 11.2 volts with the engine off).

Out of curiosity, I put the old RR unit back on and got 13 volts out of it also. So I left it on--I was very tired of bolting and unbolting RR units in that cramped space under the battery by then--and really would like to take the new RR unit back if it's not needed.

I then took the bike for a half-hour ride around the 'hood and checked the wires from time to time. The wires seemed hot. Not finger-burning hot, but definitely more than just warm. How warm are the wires from the RR supposed to be? Is this another symptom of a bad RR unit, or could it be a problem in the wires themselves?

the wires do tend to get toasty, I would first charge the battery up with a low rate charger, (what did you get when you checked to stator output? need over 75 volts) if the stator is putting out what it should (@5000RPM) cut off the connectors and solder the wires dirrect (silver solder is best) while you are at it, run a separate ground wire from the regulator/rectifier case to the main battery ground at the battery or where the main ground connects to the engine case.
    fire the bike up and see what you get, at both idle and at 5000rpm.
    13 volts is OK at a idle, but you should get at least 14 volts at 5000 RPM (14.5 volts is better, more than that is getting to high)

Comment

I got 75 volts out of all three stator wires. You mention removing the gang plug connectors from the RR unit to the bike's wiring and soldering the wires together. I'm not disputing this as a possible remedy, but wonder why would the gang plugs build up resistance after working okay for 20 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron
        I got 75 volts out of all three stator wires. You mention removing the gang plug connectors from the RR unit to the bike's wiring and soldering the wires together. I'm not disputing this as a possible remedy, but wonder why would the gang plugs build up resistance after working okay for 20 years?
        simple, age, the connectors are brass, the tarnish that forms on brass is a very poor conductor.

my bike is charging perfectly and the wires still get warm, the wires are actualy a bit small for the current passing through them, the charging systems used on these older bikes, pretty much all older bikes, is flawed, it regulates charging rate by shunting excess power to ground, the stator is always puting out full power, so the wires heat up.

cars and bikes built starting in the mid 80's use true alternators and use electromagnets and regulate the magnetic field to control the output, the only draw back being they require brushes that wear out eventualy.

Comment

Seemily a monir point, but see if its the wires heating up or if its the connectors, by letting it all cool down then start bike and see what heats up first or the hottest. You will probably find its the connectors.

Problem becomes worse if its hot enough to melt insullation and short out wires to each other. I replaced connectors then had same problem again a couple years later (last week), so I am starting to understand why others on this site recommend soldering the stator wires.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Okay, I'm convinced that I need to look at my connectors.

My next dumb question is that there's not a lot of play in some of these wires--if I remove the existing connectors, the wires may not reach each other. What do you do in a case like this, solder a short bridge wire between the two existing wires? If so, what do I need to know about wire gauge or potential problems?

Comment

Working...
            X