cleaning everything i took off for the new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning everything i took off for the new tires

what's the best way to clean axles, axle spacers, wheel bearings, hubs, rear brake rod+spring things like that. I know it's a noob question, but I don't want to mess anything up here it's my only vehicle. I'm thinking just soap and warm water then dry real well and grease appropriately?

Not sure if there is a better way or not but I just used windex for most of the stuff then when things were really caked on I scrubbed them down in the bathtub with a brillo pad (make sure to dry things off so they don't rust). I would keep any bearings away from water and windex, those need to be properly handled and its probably best not to mess with them unless they need it. Smaller non painted parts (I am pretty sure carburetor cleaner will just strip paint off of things) can be cleaned with carburetor cleaner, just wear some nitrile gloves since the stuff is rather toxic. Nitirile gloves are the blue ones and are more resistant to solvents than latex.
    Hope this helps

Comment

Use varsol or kerosene. They're made to cut through grease & crap & are way faster than things like Simple Green. Use gloves of course, but both are relatively safe & cheap.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

excellent thanks guys

Comment

Diesel fuel, cheaper and easier than kerosene, same stuff.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a 3-gallon Big Red parts cleaner that has kerosene in it. Diesel might be cheaper, but I already have the kerosene around to fuel the heaters.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X