Who's using Bandit Gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's using Bandit Gauges?

I have a nice set of Bandit gauges for my 80 gs1100 16v but am having trouble wiring them into my gs wiring loom. I know where all the wires from the gauges go, i just can't find the corresponding wires in the gs harness.
    Someone must have done this & can maybe help me out.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
    I have a nice set of Bandit gauges for my 80 gs1100 16v but am having trouble wiring them into my gs wiring loom. I know where all the wires from the gauges go, i just can't find the corresponding wires in the gs harness.
    Someone must have done this & can maybe help me out.
    personally I would do this using PC paint. Do a screen capture of the Bandit speedo connections and teh GS harness and remove the stock gauge cluster and graft on the Bandit.

Comment

Not sure what pc paint program is.
      I have a Bandit wiring diagram and know which wire is which on the gauges. It's hooking them into the gs harness that is the problem.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Well, you obviously have a computer.
        Is it a "PC" or a "Mac"?
        If it's a "PC", it most likely has one version or another of Windows.
        In the Programs tab, look for Accessories, then you will see a program called "Paint" or "Paintbrush".
        It's a basic drawing program that is actually quite useable.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just a geek tip: If you use paint, do your self a favor. When you are done working and ready to save, in the dropdown menu under File > Save As, change the Save As type to a jpeg (.jpg or .jpeg)

It will significantly decrease the file size from the default bitmap(bmp) that paint uses.

Comment

Hi,

Do you have a wiring diagram for your GS1100? There is one on my website that may be helpful.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sorry to be an idiot but can someone walk me thru the Paint program? Why do I need to use it?

Comment

Sorry to be an idiot but can someone walk me thru the Paint program? Why do I need to use it?

It is just an easy built in way (windows at least) to match the wires with color up between the bandit connectors and the OEM harness. You could printout a copy cut them out and glue to a piece of paper then pic your connections but it would not be in color and not as easy to change.

You could do this with just a list of signal names and wire colors on the back of an envelope. But that is not much different than trying to just wire it in the headlamp which you are not having much success at.

Comment

I have a Bandit wiring diagram and know which wire is which on the gauges. It's hooking them into the gs harness that is the problem.
                  Can you send the bandit schematic to my e-mail? Also what the original lights are intended for. I'll see what I can recommend.

You finally peaked my interest with the picture of those guages.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

When I wired GSXR gauges and idiot lights I just figured out what was what on the GSXR clocks and used my 700 diagram to figure out what to splice. Did the same with the GXSR switchgear and Yosh throttle. If you give us a list of what needs to be wired up maybe we can tell you to splice to.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      When I wired GSXR gauges and idiot lights...
                      Ooops. Wrong spot.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Here's the Bandit wiring diagram clearly showing what wire controls what function.
                        Let me know if you can't blow it up.

Comment

Here's the Bandit wiring diagram clearly showing what wire controls what function.
                          Let me know if you can't blow it up.
                          Well clearly they are not using a single point ground; this will never work for a GS

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                            When I wired GSXR gages and idiot lights I just figured out what was what on the GSXR clocks and used my 700 diagram to figure out what to splice. Did the same with the GXSR switchgear and Yosh throttle. If you give us a list of what needs to be wired up maybe we can tell you to splice to.
                            The issue here is how much to butcher your harness. I would tend to want to only modify the stuff that plugs into the stock harness.

I just looked at the GS1100EX schematic and you are going to have to make some decisions on how to do this; The GS has a fuel gauage and a check panel device in the clocks. Not sure if you are planning to add a VDO fuel gauge , but you could do that off of the separate.

The big issue though is getting rid of the check panel (the one with the Motorcycle graphic). If you can unplug it and have everything work then just do that. There are 4 idiot lights remaining which are N-neutral, P-oil pressure, T-turn, and B-High beam. This comes off of a 6 wire plug with and extra pigtail. With the check panel unplugged some of this might not work. Try and wire it up and see what works ; if something doesn't work we can dig deeper into the harness.

Comment

Thing is the gs plugs have been cut off by the PO so we have to match up by colours.

Comment

Working...
                              X