Crankcase breather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase breather.

So if not using the stock airbox what do folks use for a breather ( attached to the valve cover)?

I've seen super small air filter "pods" used attached to the end of the hose that used to plug into the airbox but I'm not sure where to get something like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
    spyug

i put the hose in a small empty brake oil can.
    you can see it it my album on my profile.
    marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

second pic.
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

You can get the small breather filters from Dennis Kirk, Chaparral, etc.... Ray.

Comment

You can also get those little filters at your favorite auto parts store.

Look in the "tuner" section where they have the fancy stuff the kids put under their hoods.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'll have a look in the local 'tuner" stores first and if they don't have them or are outrageously priced ( as I suspect they might be) I'll price them through the online guys.

Cheers,
            spyug

Comment

I used one of these from the local Autozone store in town, although mine was red to match my bike...

'85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'm going to be purchasing one pretty soon. I have K&N pods, so i would like to have an K&N crankcase filter as well.

Free Shipping - K&N Crankcase Vent Filters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Valve Cover Breathers at Summit Racing.

Comment

I have just been running a 3/8" draft tube down to the swing-arm for 27+ years.
                  It exits with the four breathers for the carbs. and the battery vent tube.

Eric

Comment

I did mine a while back, and it might seem overkill, but I ran the breather hose to a unit like this then the output to a K&N type breather. I don't seem to get oil in the area. No pics at the moment but

Not a very good picture but mine is mounted using a brass strap to the side rail; it can be seen in the picture behind the rear brake reservoir.

There may be smallers ones, I saw a plastic one for a gocart; search under "oil catch can"
                    Last edited by posplayr; 02-20-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I suggest building a catch can or oil/air separator. Get a small can and run the breather hose into the can. Make another hole with another hose to vent the can. Putting a small screen inside the can to catch some of the oil to prevent it from being blown out will help also.
                      This is a basic description of how they used to do it on old general aviation aircraft. It worked very well.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                        I used one of these from the local Autozone store in town, although mine was red to match my bike...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=781361
                        I see the link is dead - here's a pic. Looks like a K&N filter, but only costs $10.

I attached it to the breather cover outlet with a short piece of hose - can't see it anyway once the fuel tank is on...
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I use the same thing from the local auto store..9.99

Comment

Working...