How Many Starter Brushes GS 82/83 Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Many Starter Brushes GS 82/83 Starter

I am about to rebuild a starter that is on a 1982/83 GS 1100E engine.
    Actually this a 1986 GS 1150 with a 82/83 GS 1100 Engine.

I ordered a starter repair kit, and it has a 4 Brush configuration.
    The diagram on BikeBandit shows 1 brush (must be at least two though).
    When I open the starter it had a 2 Bush configuration.

My quesitons are:
    1. Does this bike have the wrong starter?
    2. Does Stockers have the wrong repair kit listed for 1982/83 starter?
    3. Should there possibly be a 4 brush configuration and that is the reason I have a really slow cranking starter?

I bought the bike last year and the starter has always been a slow (seems to barely turn at times) cranking starter.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2010, 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling

My understanding is that most any model/year can have either of two (maybe 3) makes of starter.

One brand starter has 2 brushes and one has 4 brushes. Have to remove starter and see what make it is. And when order brushes or rebuild kits have to know that first.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

One photo shows that mine was a Mitsuba brand.

Last edited by Redman; 02-21-2010, 11:02 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Starter Brushes

I ordered and received a starter brush set today.
      It on has one brush. Looks like one may have been lost There are tw holders with springs but only 1 brush.

Is it posible this will work?
      I intend to send it back so I won't even try it in the starter.
      How can there be so many different configuratons? I have the Desno starter. I see repair brush kits that have 2 brushes 4 brushed, and it looks like the parts diargram shows 1 brush.
      How is that possible?

Comment

Suzuki used starters of a couple of different designs from a couple of different suppliers, and the distribution is pretty random.

I've also seen some '70s and '80s bikes that came from the factory with "wrong" year parts attached simply because Suzuki used up what was in the bins before switching to the "correct" parts. Nothing that would make a functional difference, but enough to confuse the hell out of us years later.

There are also a couple of different ways you can mix-n-match the starter motor with the starter base (the end with the little gear sticking out). In other words, you can bolt together a mongrel starter motor quite easily, so who knows if that's what happened sometime in the past?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Jimmy, I have starters if you determine you need one. Ray.

Comment

Starter

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Jimmy, I have starters if you determine you need one. Ray.
            Ray
            Thanks for the offer.
            I ordered a starter and should get that Monday.

I just thought it might be a good idea to have a backup starter so I ordered the brush repair kit for the starter I have now.
            Just that the brush repair kit can't be the correct one.
            The starter has always been a real weak/slow starter but always started the bike. That makes me wonder if this was supposed to have a 4 brush kit installed as this may have been rebuilt before. Stater wouldn't do the job a couple of weeks ago with a new battery so knowing its always been a weak/slow turner I figured it might be time to rebuild it.
            What do you get for a decent starter for my 82/82 engine?

Comment

Working...
            X