GS850L Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L Manual

Does anyone know if the Clymer Manual part # M-376 manual the correct/best one to use? I need info like how to synchro the carbs, set the carb jets and so forth.

Here is a link to the M-376 manual from amazon. My problem is that the straight "GS850-L" is not specifically listed. Does anyone know if this is the "right" manual to use, or is there a superior one?

i have a clymer from '85, but it's fairly ragged so i don't know the issue. It has good info, but a great source of info, with better pix is found here on the forum: bikecliff's website

Comment

I have an earlier printing of that manual, it will work well. I have an '82 850L and two '81 850Gs in the stable, and it works with all of them.

On the other hand, there is nothing like a copy of a factory manual. Have you gotten your offical welcome from BassCliff yet? He has a little website with a bit of the knowledge from the board collected there, and one of the things he has for your perusal is a copy of the factory 850 manual.

I also have a copy of the Haynes manual for comparison. Each of the three manuals has its strong points, and any of them can be used alone, but I would rate them in order of preference: Factory, Clymer, Haynes.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, the GL is covered in that manual along with the G. Mechanically speaking, the bikes are pretty much identical. Where there are differences (like the forks) everything is explained.

However, the manual won't answer questions about jetting, and the info about carb synching is laughable, since it's based on using a goofy special Suzuki synchronizing tool.

Never fear -- the information you need is here on the GSR forum. Look for Basscliff's links.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. a_man0311,

I guess Mr. bwringer forgot that he has some carb synchronization tips on hes website:

Synchronize Carburetors

I'd like to cordially welcome you to the forum. You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my website. Please help yourself to a heaping helping and check the carb links for jetting tips while I say "Howdy!"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ahh, Cliff to the rescue. All is right in the world again. If you are unsure on the jets you have in the bike the OEM specs are in the Popular Technical Section of the forum.
            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
              Ahh, Cliff to the rescue. All is right in the world again. If you are unsure on the jets you have in the bike the OEM specs are in the Popular Technical Section of the forum.
              I also put a copy of the spreadsheet here:

Suzuki GS Series Carb Specs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Awesome!

Just awesome! Thanks Basscliff and y'all for the prompt help. To be honest I'd probably be moving on from this bike if there weren't this community. You've motivated me to wrench on this bike till she runs again. Thanks again everyone!!!!!!

A_man

Comment

Originally posted by a_man0311 View Post
                  To be honest I'd probably be moving on from this bike if there weren't this community. You've motivated me to wrench on this bike till she runs again.
                  A_man
                  don't give up. mine has been a work in progress for about 2 years, doing small repairs at a time. i recently completed valve shims and carb re-build via help on this forum. i'm tellin' ya, it runs great now. can't wait until i can afford the morgan carbtune to really 'fine-tune'

Comment

Working...
                  X