First blood..and spline pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First blood..and spline pics.

I'm soon going to be taking my wheels over to bwringer's to get the tires changed. Thanks Brian !! So, tonight I figured I'd pull the wheels off the GK. I already have the fairing and front calipers off so, it was just a matter of taking off a few bolts and axles. Everything went very well until I removed the rear spline......After removing the spline I was giving it a good scrubbing in a bucket of Purple Power....and it got me. The splines are so far gone that they're razor sharp. This is after the bleeding stopped. I think I'm going to live.

Needless to say, I need a new spline. A little over 31,000 miles, I don't think it's ever been greased.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Hey Larry!

I do believe you are the winner. Those are the thinnest splines I've ever seen without being all the way worn off. It's amazing that your rear wheel still turned. Thanks for the pictures.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Cliff....I guess....I sorta expected to see it in that condition. The GK is coming together though.

I'm surprised I made it through the test ride.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry,

I have a spare rear wheel at home with the spline still on it. It may be the "soft" one though, but it's in good shape. Would you still be interested?

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Larry,

I have a spare rear wheel at home with the spline still on it. It may be the "soft" one though, but it's in good shape. Would you still be interested?

BassCliff
          Thanks for the offer Cliff. If it happens to be one of the black ones, I would be. I'm going to look around for one of them for a few days, I'll let you know.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Can I get in the contest? I almost tried to do the Galena rally on these last year. I probably would not have made it past Chicago.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Man, that's a close one. You could make a rotory razor out of it.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

wow that was gone i am suprised it moved at all , you must take care of the bike huh, no spinning the rear wheel?, or is that what its from? lol

Comment

I gotta say that I think Larry wins the "Thinnest Spline" contest.

Probably a good thing the bike was running like poop when we tested it...

If you don't have a new one yet, I can hook you up with my "rally spare" for a while.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Man, that's a close one. You could make a rotory razor out of it.
                    I bet it would make a great orange peeler. Do you need it for the kitchen Chef ?

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    I gotta say that I think Larry wins the "Thinnest Spline" contest.

Probably a good thing the bike was running like poop when we tested it...

If you don't have a new one yet, I can hook you up with my "rally spare" for a while.
                    Yeah, the thinnest and the sharpest !! I think another few miles on our test ride and it would've been done. I probably could've got it cheaper if it would've let go during the test ride.

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                    wow that was gone i am suprised it moved at all , you must take care of the bike huh, no spinning the rear wheel?, or is that what its from? lol
                    The wear comes from mileage and not greasing the spline regularly. It should be inspected and greased at every rear tire change. I don't think this one had ever been touched.

Cliff, I already ordered another one. +- $66 delivered. Thanks for the offer.

For everyone else...a little heads up....If you're ordering a part that has a superceded part number, search the original part number first.
                    Some of the parts sites have not updated the old part number with the new superceded price.
                    The old number for this spline is 64680-45112, which was listed at +-$47.00. The new part number is 64680-45113, which is listed at +-$114.00. It's the same part, from the same site. It's a little secret, so, just keep it between us....
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      Cliff, I already ordered another one. +- $66 delivered. Thanks for the offer.
                      Cool beans Larry. For that price, might as well get a new one. Good call. And thanks for the heads-up on the part number price break. Good to know.

BassCliff

Comment

Compare and Contrast

Hi All. I received my new spline yesterday. I thought everyone would enjoy seeing what a brand new one looks like. I got it installed on the rear wheel last night and going to put it the wheel back on this evening and button up the rear of the bike. Getting closer to riding the GK !!!!!

Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm, shiny. What part number was stamped on the back?
                          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Yeah, it looked a little out of place inside the grungy wheel.......I didn't even look at the part number on it. I'll take a look tonight.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

oooo its the soft silver one.

I need to make the rounds and stock up on vintage hardened black ones.

I wonder what a metalurgical shop would charge to heat treat one?

Comment

Working...
                              X