Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
    oooo its the soft silver one.

I need to make the rounds and stock up on vintage hardened black ones.

I wonder what a metalurgical shop would charge to heat treat one?
    I disagree....from everything I've read, Black or Silver are good. The Gold ones are soft.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Last edited by Larry D; 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I would even just say softer on the Gold ones. I pulled the OEM Gold one out of my 831100 at 37K and if I get that kind of mileage from the new silver one I got for it I will not be unhappy. It lasted longer than a chain would have anyway. Right George ?
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Hi Larry,

That is a pretty gear!

Cover it in Moly 60 Paste and you should be on two wheels soon, for a good long time.

The silver ones may not be as hard as the black ones, but they are certainly harder than the gold ones. And for that price, you can hardly beat it. You can't buy a good chain/sprocket set for that. Plus the gear will last a lot longer.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The silver ones will last pretty much forever, just the same as the black splines -- the same part has been used in every Suzuki shaftie since the late '80s (except the new M109), and the splines have pretty much ceased to be a problem.

With that said, I've seen a badly neglected later model spline (no moly paste or even grease EVER ) showing quite a lot of wear. However, this was after a lot of miles and it was nowhere near stripping out.

If you order a new spline unit, you will get the same updated and durable part number that Larry got. There's no need to scour the earth for black splines -- the silver ones are just as durable.

Later Suzuki shafties included:
          All Intruders (VS700, 750, and 800)
          GSX1100G
          VX800
          S50 and C50 cruisers (pretty much a later model designation for the Intruder)
          Cavalcade sumo-tourer (not sure when they switched to the new spline)
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
            I would even just say softer on the Gold ones. I pulled the OEM Gold one out of my 831100 at 37K and if I get that kind of mileage from the new silver one I got for it I will not be unhappy. It lasted longer than a chain would have anyway. Right George ?
            That reminds me, I need to adjust my chain again. The second time in 10k miles, what a drag. I figure in 30-40k miles I'll have to replace it. What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              That reminds me, I need to adjust my chain again. The second time in 10k miles, what a drag. I figure in 30-40k miles I'll have to replace it. What a shame.

Yes one wonders how long a modern chain lasts with minimal care compared to a shaft drive mechanism.

when you kick in the plus of latering final drive ratio then the choice is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                Yes one wonders how long a modern chain lasts with minimal care compared to a shaft drive mechanism.

when you kick in the plus of latering final drive ratio then the choice is clear.
                That's a good point. I plan on changing the final drive ratio soon and seeing how I like it. It revs too high on the highway for my liking, and has gobs of torque on take-off. Plus it may increase gas mileage closer to 50 mpg.

Comment

Working...
                X