wiring connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring connectors

Been reading ALL about charging system troubleshooting/repair (since my other thread is about the problems in my GS450).

I want to replace as many of the old electrical connectors as I can. I am totally inexperienced though with crimping and soldering. I've heard that "butt connectors" are good to use, but those don't disconnect do they? I want to be able to disconnect my wires again, in case I need to troubleshoot or replace parts in the future. Therefore I don't want to solder wires directly together either.

I think I'd prefer these "quick disconnect" connectors:

I haven't seen them mentioned. Are they acceptable to use? If not, what connectors are best (that can still be disconnected/reconnected easily)?

I know that after crimping I should solder the wire to the connector for the best connection.

Thanks,
    Carl

20 years from now those connectors are going to be as bad as the ones you have now. Plus the fact that instead of having as many as 10 in one housing, now you have all these individual ones.
    If the current (no pun in 10 did) connectors are not physically broken or rusty, I feel it'd be better to simply clean them with electronics cleaner, use some dielectric spray (not to much) and put them back together. I would however directly solder the stator leads to the R/R.
    That's what I did to my bike 2 years ago, and haven't had any problems since.

Comment

Well I was only going to replace individual connectors, not multi-wire housings or whatever.

I suppose I will try cleaning first. Will try to find that spray - I assume they sell it at Radio Shack or a hardware store.

Carl

Comment

Yes, you should be able to get it at Radio Shack, or even a radio/electronics shop.
        There is one thing to be said about replacing connectors. Where the wire goes into the connector, that part of the wire can become corroded. Replacing it is the best way in that scenario, as the individual wire strands can break down.

Comment

Working...
        X