750 oil pump gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 oil pump gears

I've sourced a set of oil pump drive gears from a 1977 gs 750 E. I just wanted to confirm that these gears will work in my 83 1100 for higher volume flow.

Thanks,
    Nick

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
    I've sourced a set of oil pump drive gears from a 1977 gs 750 E. I just wanted to confirm that these gears will work in my 83 1100 for higher volume flow.

Thanks,
    Nick
    yes they will

Comment

Yes, they will work...they will also stress the seals on your bike and create oil leaks you didn't know you had before if your engine is not perfectly sealed.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That's a crock Ed! The increased volume is not an issue & will help the cams & rockers immensely! How many 16 valve 1100/1150s do you own, or have you owned to have experienced this? In the 30 years since the 1100s came out, I have NEVER had oil pump gears cause a leak in a motor. Ray.
        Last edited by rapidray; 02-25-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          That's a crock Ed! The increased volume is not an issue & will help the cams & rockers immensely! How many 16 valve 1100/1150s do you own, or have you owned to have experienced this? In the 30 years since the 1100s came out, I have NEVER had oil pump gears cause a leak in a motor. Ray.

Ray, as an engine builder I expect more from you. Increasing the working oil pressure on an engine WILL put the seals under more stress. We see almost weekly threads around here where someone comments on how their head gasket is leaking. Since the oil flows up to the head via the engine studs, all it takes is a small void to cause a leak, and installing those gears can change a small weep into an honest leak. Maybe not a clean engine built by a pro, but an old engine with original gaskets is at risk thus my warning is warranted.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Ray, as an engine builder I expect more from you. Increasing the working oil pressure on an engine WILL put the seals under more stress. We see almost weekly threads around here where someone comments on how their head gasket is leaking. Since the oil flows up to the head via the engine studs, all it takes is a small void to cause a leak, and installing those gears can change a small weep into an honest leak. Maybe not a clean engine built by a pro, but an old engine with original gaskets is at risk thus my warning is warranted.
            With the Hpo gears I can easily peg my 15 psi oil guage when cold and when warm it is eazy to get to 10-12 psi at 4K RPM. I have sprouted cooler leaks and will not ride my bike 1100 to work anymore (I have a 1 mile commute on side streets). It is not enough time to warm up and any blip pegs the gauge

Comment

So what if it pegs the gauge? As long as you don't run the motor hard when it's cold (which you should never do anyway!) what does it matter if you have 15 psi oil pressure? You make it sound like higher oil pressure is a bad thing & I have NEVER yet seen an issue with too much oil pressure in an engine. ESPECIALLY one that uses non roller lifters, or in our case rocker arms. Ray.

Comment

On a side note somewhat , I looked up parts numbers at BikeBandit and get the same numbers for the early roller-bearing motor oil pump gears and the later plain bearing oil pump gears. Are they the same? If so, is the lower oil pressure on the roller bearing motors simply the result of a pressure regulator setting? I am thinking the later 16V motor would be easier to source at a wreckers.

Comment

For my twopenn'orth, I partly agree with Ray and partly with Ed; if the motor has a weak spot it could show with the extra flow. On the other hand, if it's sound it'll be fine.

(Ray - you must have seen a problem with too much oil pressure in an engine; you must have those numpties like we do who overfill to the brim and blow everything out )
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

LOL!! Ok, I have seen that but they have always blown it out through the breather cover. The motors that have leaks need to be FIXED! Why try to hot rod something that LEAKS?! If a bike has gasket leaks, more oil volume will make it worse. The higher volume will NOT hurt seals or over load them. It will not make gaskets leak if they are good to begin with. If you have a leaker, you need to fix it anyway or it will REALLY leak with more oil going through it. Ray.

Comment

The only oil pressure problem I ever had was my fault. My 360 mopar 3.23 gear Went thru 1/4 mile in 2th gear, about 7500 rpm sucked the pan dry
                      Lifters were noisey on the return road, oil pressure was never the same and I ended up breaking the crank

Comment

FWIW, I've been running these for a few years now, with no sudden leaks from gaskets, oil cooler fittings, or anywhere (all gaskets are factory original from 1982, except the valve cover silicone one). No pressure gauge on my bike, but I understand the gears (I got mine from Star Racing) increase oil volume by around 30%....I do not recall reading anywhere about a doubling of pressure. Keep in mind, our bikes aren't manufactured to different (lower) standards just because we run a low pressure lubrication system....other models routinely run 45 to 50 psi without leaking, with no special design changes.

Tony.
                        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          ... No pressure gauge on my bike, but I understand the gears (I got mine from Star Racing) increase oil volume by around 30%....I do not recall reading anywhere about a doubling of pressure.
                          Pressure is built in any system where supply exceeds relief. In the case of an engine, the pump is the supply, the relief is the restriction imposed by bearing clearances and any other orifices that allow oil to flow. The simple physics of it is that, if you increase the supply without changing the relief, pressure will increase.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Pressure is built in any system where supply exceeds relief. In the case of an engine, the pump is the supply, the relief is the restriction imposed by bearing clearances and any other orifices that allow oil to flow. The simple physics of it is that, if you increase the supply without changing the relief, pressure will increase. .
                            Yup, I understand a little physics myself....as I stated, I didn't recall any mention of the pressure doubling though. No doubt the OP will do some more research if excessive pressure is a concern...my friend installed the Star gears at the same time (we ordered them together) in his '83, and had no leakage issues either....he did have one of the gears fail spectacularly though, after a year, which is another issue altogether.
                            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                            X