Please help identify extra part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help identify extra part

I just rebuilt my carbs with these kits and there is an extra part left over. Not sure what its for and was wondering if anyone can help figure it out.
    The photo is a little tough, all I have at the moment is my iPhone camera. Sorry. The other object is a writing pen for scale reference. If you spin the part around 180 degrees it looks the same.

Thanks.

Dont look like any carb part I've ever seen.

The kit, I'll let someone else comment on that one.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

plug that goes on top of mixture screws?

Comment

It is a anti tamper plug for the idle mixture screws. Suzuki did not want anybody to tamper with the idle mixture settings from the factory so they installed a plug. When you rebuild the carbs you need to drill out the old plug so you can remove the mixture screws to clean the passages. There is no need to reinstall these plugs, especially if you need to adjust the screws.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by joep373526 View Post
          It is a anti tamper plug for the idle mixture screws. Suzuki did not want anybody to tamper with the idle mixture settings from the factory so they installed a plug. When you rebuild the carbs you need to drill out the old plug so you can remove the mixture screws to clean the passages. There is no need to reinstall these plugs, especially if you need to adjust the screws.

Joe
          I'm rather new at this. Is the mixture screw in question the pilot air screw that is always accessible or the pilot jet accessible through the float bowl? My pilot jets have rubber plugs, two of which are close to disintegrating. I have to order a new batch just to finish the job, but I'm not really sure of the point of the rubber plug. If these are meant to do the same function I just assume use them instead of ordering new rubber plugs. Heading out to garage to check fit now.

Comment

They are not to replace the rubber plugs, they are to cover the accessible air (idle) screws don't use em.

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
              They are not to replace the rubber plugs, they are to cover the accessible air (idle) screws don't use em.
              10-4. I'm not entirely sure of the need for the pilot jet plug. I've looked at other Mikuni carbs and they dont seem to have a plug. Can I get away without ordering new ones

Comment

Originally posted by apogeecustom View Post
                10-4. I'm not entirely sure of the need for the pilot jet plug. I've looked at other Mikuni carbs and they dont seem to have a plug. Can I get away without ordering new ones
                Those rubber plugs are necessary. You can get replacements at places like Z1 Enterprises.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Either your carbs already had the plug removed or they had a solid plug (without the little hole), so you don't recognize it.

Here is where they go, over the idle mixture adjustment screws:

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X