Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this electrical schematic symbol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this electrical schematic symbol?

I know how to read schematics and everything from work and school experience but I cant figure out what these symbols are supposed to be. Is it just showing where the wire goes through a piece of metal or something?

---Eric

Hi ERIC,

That symbol is a frame earth. Usually a lug with a bolt through it screwed into a threaded hole in the frame. Clean all these up and coat threads with dialectric grease as well as the lug before you bolt it together. I clean the thread out with a tap and clean threads on the bolt/screws before dialectric grease to get a real good earth. Bad earths cause BAD problems with electrics.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Don is absolutely right, but for those of us on this side of the pond, it's called a frame ground point.

The particular ones you pointed out will be large ring terminals that mount over the end of the turn signal stalk
      and are held in by the large nut that holds the turn signal to its mount.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

so its just a ring connector crimped onto the end of a wire and then placed onto a bolt with a nut snugged down on top of it to both ground the wire and hold the signal in place. That makes sence as to why there are ones like that near where the battery is too, i see them on the schematic as well.

Thanks guys
        ---Eric

Comment

Working...
        X