OIL light staying on. '80 850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OIL light staying on. '80 850GL

The oil light started coming on only as the clutch was pulled in. Within a day it is now constantly on. I replaced a broken clutch cable a week previous. And just changed the oil after the occurence (20-50 from 10-40.) That didn't help. Shifting down to first must be done at a slow speed (essentially what you'd actually use first for.) It seems to be running the same as before. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Is it probably okay to ride, or should I not risk it?

Re: OIL light staying on. '80 850GL

Originally posted by DEW
    The oil light started coming on only as the clutch was pulled in. Within a day it is now constantly on. I replaced a broken clutch cable a week previous. And just changed the oil after the occurence (20-50 from 10-40.) That didn't help. Shifting down to first must be done at a slow speed (essentially what you'd actually use first for.) It seems to be running the same as before. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Is it probably okay to ride, or should I not risk it?
    I don't know anything about your particular model, but if my oil light was on I'd want to check the oil pressure. In my case, that would mean a quick trip to the dealer. Then, breath easy and start looking at oil pressure sensors and such.

Comment

you say you had just replaced the clutch cable?
      the clutch cable runs near the oil presure sensor and the wire that connects to it!
      take a close look at your oil presure sender, it will be a very short round plastic plug looking thing witha one wire plug that plugs into it at a right angle, it will be behind the cylinders in just about the midle, make sure the contacts are clean and that the wire is connected good and tight and the wire is not off rubbing against the engine grounding out, also trace the wire back from there, making sure it is not pinched or have a bare spot in the wire shorting out.
      if the conection and wire is good, it is posible the sender is bad but also posible that you dont have any oil presure. the wire checks out, get a manual, low presure gauge and confirm weather you have oil presure.

Comment

You were right, the clutch cable was pinching the wire. Maybe that wouldn't happen if I hadn't lost a tank pad. Good call, and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DEW
          You were right, the clutch cable was pinching the wire. Maybe that wouldn't happen if I hadn't lost a tank pad. Good call, and thanks.
          you are welcome!!, glad I could help!

Comment

Working...
          X