Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so...uhm...what's the redline on these things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as for two-stroke engines revving higher...they are generally REALLY small compared to four-stroke engines, which as i said before, smaller engines rev higher. also, since the oil is mixed with the gas, it is lubricated easier...and has no valvetrain like a four-stroke.

~Adam

Comment

and fast, just for some assurance on your end, i took my GS550 up to 11,000 RPM the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
        Originally posted by fast68
        55mph, rapping at 4200rpm, engine sounds liek its screeeeaming ! remember i am a chevy car engine guy, never really ever had a bike to run on the street, however i have driven several offroad-only bikes like XR125's and yamaha's and such, all 2 cycle of course,unlike this GS
        ]
        thanks
        I think you "hear' like I used to. I too, worked on SBC's, and when a 350 revved to 5k it sounds like it is about to come out the block. My 'GK has a red line of 9k, but I never take it there at all, as it sounds the same way. But when I do occasionally take it to higher limits, it just revs higher and higher without a lick of stress. My Honda 450 revved at 5k at 60mph. It sounded like my 'GK does at 3k. Alot of the scream; of an engine i related to the Camshaft duration also. rev that SBC to 5k. sounds quick right? but rev a NASCAR to 8k and pretty much sounds alot like that 5k SBC..Basic engine design is similar, but Nascars longer duration cam allows a higher PRM before valve float becomes a problem. It is OK to run your motor at higher RPMs, as long as your not red-lining it for hours at a time. your 450 shoud reach 70mph with relative ease, much as my Honda did. It was designed to do this. So relax, change the oil often, and ride!! :twisted:
        oh i know it will VERY easily go 70 and way more but man it sounds like its done at 45-50mph. screaming.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          you get used to the high revving sound of the engines. all of us are just saying you can rev past 4000 RPM, but you dont have to sit there and cruise around at 8000 RPM. the bike makes most of its power over 4000 RPM, which is nice for accelerating. if you plan to cruise, then keep it around 4-5000 RPM and its peaceful.

do what i suggested on an open road. 3000 RPM clutch rollout, 1st gear to 8000 RPM, clutch, push hard into 2nd, and go 8000 RPM until third gear. you're bike will feel and shift like glass...super smooth.
          3K RPM rollout, damn! thats insane, IMO, doesnt that burn the clutch up ?

*back that same point of me beinng used to car drivetrains*

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
            as for two-stroke engines revving higher...they are generally REALLY small compared to four-stroke engines, which as i said before, smaller engines rev higher. also, since the oil is mixed with the gas, it is lubricated easier...and has no valvetrain like a four-stroke.

~Adam
            what design valve train does a 2 stroke have compared to the 4 then ?

hmm..
            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
              and fast, just for some assurance on your end, i took my GS550 up to 11,000 RPM the other night.
              insane!
              but thats a little bigger, and isnt 550 4 cylinder ?

doesnt this make a difference from my 2 cylinder 450 ?

and whats diff from GS to non-GS engines as far as RPM and performance goes ?

thanks!

Comment

As you can see, I just wanted to offer my 2-cents worth

Fast68, you may well have experience with car engines, however, cars....especially US cars, tend to have much higher displacement than motorcycle engines do. Although not entirely 100% correct, generally, the smaller the engine size (displacement), the shorter the stroke will be (as well as a smaller bore size, assuming all other variables remain the same). And the shorter the stroke, the higher the number of RPM's allowed. Therefore, you cannot compare the redline for a 2.2 liter, 4-cyl Chevy Beretta (or whatever else car you are comparing it to), with that of a .75 liter, 4-cyl motorcycle engine. The stroke of that afore-mentioned Beretta, is 3.46"....whereas the stroke of the motorcycle engine might be close to half of that (meaning it only needs to travel half as far per revolution....meaning that at a fixed number of rpm's, the piston would only be travelling at half the speed).

Let's say you went to Europe, where the average engine size of automobiles is much smaller than here in the US. You would see that the cars over there with their 1.3 to 1.8 liter engines can drive all day long at highway speeds which might require somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000-7000 rpm's. And I'm not talking about high-performance car engines like that of a Porsche, etc. I'm talking everyday cars like the VW Polo, Opel Astra, etc. And the engines of these cars last just as long as any larger displacement, 4-cyl, low-revving, US made cars do (and - although this is a different topic, they do it with far fewer oil changes than we in the US call for). Why do you think these engines are able to take such "abuse" as you call it? Is it because the european cars have been imbibed with a "good JuJu" No, it's because they are smaller in size (displacement), and smaller engines generally tend to have a smaller stroke. Try telling a German that anything over 4500 rpm's on his 1.6 liter Opel Vectra's engine is "excessive".
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by AOD

~Adam

hmm..
                  thanks
                  a 2 stroke doesn't really have a 'valve train', just reed valves. There are a lot fewer moving parts.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD

~Adam

hmm..
                    thanks

Two strokes used many scavenging valve systems including reed valves, rotary valves and butterfly valves in the exhaust, but the piston and port arrangement actually functions as the inlet and exhaust valves.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by AOD

~Adam
                      So if I replace my GS750 engine with a model airplane 049 engine then I should have about a 50k redline because the engine is so much smaller.

Mike

Comment

So if I replace my GS750 engine with a model airplane 049 engine then I should have about a 50k redline because the engine is so much smaller.
                        yes, lol. but you'd make a whopping .5 HP at most,

fast, i dont have the numbers in front of me, but displacement is based on piston size and travel, so my GS550 with 4 cylinders compared to your GS450 with two cylinders is a bit different. the 450's will be a little bigger in size, but because there is half as many, the displacement overall is smaller. it will however, still rev plenty high.

and yes 11000 RPM is insane. and if you think your bike is loud, you need to hear mine. well over 130 decibles at 9000 RPM.

~Adam

Comment

my bike is quiet, its never loud, ceptif i miss a shift when im getting on it,but the misses are from 1-2 and 5-6 when they occur,

lol at the airplane model engine,hehe

knowwhats ironic ???!

i JUST now walked in the door from cruising out and stopping at the airport here, was the first time ive been closer to an airplane other than in flight in the sky above me, i even sawa yellow crop duster plane for the first time ever,never even seenone before,only heard of them, the mechanic out there said 900horses !!! crack ! soundsliek it too. i got ot go inside the fence and checkit all out,i ts a tin airport, but a tin white plane was fuelingup and i got to watch it take off and also i got to see what a tire looks like that was used during landingon a plane with bvrakes left on, eek !
                          8 plies all way melted through !
                          8" tire with 6.25 or 6.50 high sidewall it is.

damn...... crazy...

this 450 bike has gotten me to places i been wanting to check out for years, all in one day so far, heh.

Comment

Lookit, fast. If suzuki meant their GS engines to fart around at or below 4000 rpm, they'd have put the redline there. And they'd probably have put pedals on them as well.

Comment

thats called assumption howeve,rand if you go assuming things inlife then it would probablyget you no where fast,

the tachmoeters in the 60's GMC 305 V6 trucks only went up to 4k and thats all, does that mean it cant run faster ? nope.
                              safely ? yep
                              V-8 and straight 6 tachs went up to 5K back then, but you could run them a little more than that safely, but not much more.
                              tachs werent even accurate from the factory, so who knows on motorcycles..
                              just because a guage says an engine can do this or that, doesnt always mean it canor will, or even safely.

9500 red line is just crazy, stillhave to be nuts to run it that much in stock form,.

a little over halfthat is all i will run mine, at extreme max, it doesntmove much past 4200, i think i hit 5k once, but it was screaming evenmore.
                              i dont like that, it performs more than plenty well, under 5k, the sucker will really move,it not as low poke at all even remotely ! i can run allthrough the gears after rappingout eachone,in amatterof a few seconds.. VERY easily and without running it harder than what sounds like max RPM
                              i could never hit 5500RPM, theres just no way on this bike.. its just not a higher RPM engine, it loves it from around 3ooo to 4500 RPM, that is when it really puts out its power,big time

thanks for all

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                                I will have to admit to accidently over-reving...the tach went well beyond 11,000 rpm. It did not damage the engine but it left brown marks in my boxers when I realized what I had done..........
                                Hap
                                These are serious symptoms caused by over-stressing the bottom end with excessive RPM's. The marks to which you refer are probably scuff marks brought on by temporary incontinence, often associated with unacceptable blow-by and piston slap. You should immediately check your equipment for rattling little ends and a knocking big end. Of cource, it should go without saying that nuts should be tightened to appropriate torque levels, after liberal application of red Loctite.

Comment

Working...
                                X