Coil Choices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Choices...

1980 GS750E - Mike when doing the forks mentioned my coils I still using the stockers, feel I might be jinxed if I do not swap them. I have electronic ignition *no points thank you GS Gods* so I am looking at grabbing the Dyna S coils 3 ohms.

Z1 lists the regular stock dual output 3ohm:
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Going with the yellow wires...something about yellow being faster

===================

Wise idea to do my CDI electronic ignition at the same time? ... far as I know what I got is just fine so why change it... suggestions... tribal knowledge...copyright infringement notifications....

Start with just the caps.

Not sure what you are after but the first place to start on any old Japanese electronic ignition bike is to replace the caps with NGK resistor caps. The 5k ohm caps are the way to go on our suzi's and they come in what ever configuration you need. Straight up, short angled, tall angled, and so on. A little trim on the the end of the wires and you are all set. The coils and wires on these old bikes are hardly ever the problem but the caps are almost always a problem.

Comment

Should have mentioned that the caps and wires were already done. Just that I have a long trip coming up this summer to the GS Rally in Reno last thing I want is coil failure.

Comment

If they're not broke don't fix them.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The Dyna S coils are a sound upgrade coupled with the coil relay modification. I have never heard of the dyna's failing? Do take an extra coil relay and store next to the tools just in case.
          1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
          Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Buy a used one (or two) off ebay for cheap. After you test it to make sure it's good, carry it in your tank bag on long trips as a spare.

I've had one coil fail in over twenty-five years of riding half a dozen different UJMs. They aren't generally a problem.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

The stock electronic ignitions are generally quite reliable as well. I don't believe I've even heard of one failing in use, come to think of it. I have heard of them getting damaged through wiring problems or misconnections.

There's no need to install a Dyna ignition unless you're replacing points on an older bike, or the electronic ignition is missing or miswired.

It is a good idea to make sure the mechanical advance (on earlier electronic ignitions) is working and free of corrosion. On later ignitions with the solid rotor, there's absolutely nothing to do other than make sure the wiring isn't chafing anywhere and the connections are clean.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Coil relay mod already done
                wire caps done
                keeping eye out for used oem coils I guess best bet, from what I hear

I have read the whore stories of peoples coils... all I am doign at this point is changing my spark plugs per season they look mostly alright considering

Comment

I replaced my stock coils with a set of Dyna green 3 ohm coils and a set of Dyna spark plug wires. The result is easier starting and a smoother idle. Seems like more energy is getting to the spark plugs than with the stock coils.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                    The Dyna S coils are a sound upgrade coupled with the coil relay modification. I have never heard of the dyna's failing? Do take an extra coil relay and store next to the tools just in case.
                    I had a Dyna coil quit on me after only about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      I had a Dyna coil quit on me after only about a year.
                      that does not sound very re-assuring for newer stuff not being as reliable as the older gear....

sounds to me like minus 1 there being no need to swap the coils at all. As I rewired via the relay mod and get solid power starts...when my carbs are sync'd properly *thanks mike*

...minus finding a factory OEM one on ebay to carry for a just incase deal...only thing that get me is my coils do not have spades they sodder their wires on direct...and my plug leads are silconed or something to the contacts inside

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
                        that does not sound very re-assuring for newer stuff not being as reliable as the older gear....

sounds to me like minus 1 there being no need to swap the coils at all. As I rewired via the relay mod and get solid power starts...when my carbs are sync'd properly *thanks mike*

...minus finding a factory OEM one on ebay to carry for a just incase deal...only thing that get me is my coils do not have spades they sodder their wires on direct...and my plug leads are silconed or something to the contacts inside
                        The leads are glued into the coils. They can be removed and replaced with a little work.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                          The leads are glued into the coils. They can be removed and replaced with a little work.
                          Think I will leave that part alone for this season.. putting it on the to do list for next year winter....right now I am too busy riding the snot out of this...

Comment

Working...
                          X