80 1100E re-jetting for vance&hines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 1100E re-jetting for vance&hines.

Got alot of little gremlins sorted out on my 801100E and now I'm finally working on getting the carbs all set for my vance & hines exhaust.

Before the exhaust was traded out from stock I had it set up as follows.
    K&N filter in the stock air box with top on.
    35 pilots, 117 mains, and the needles shimed up slightly.
    Next I put the new header on and took it for a short ride. The plugs looked slightly lean when I got back but I figured they could stand to be richer. Also I was getting some poping when I let off the gas.
    I went up to 40 pilot's and 122.5's on the mains. The plugs are now pretty sooty and it hesitates when getting going from a stop. The poping is gone and it runs strong and smooth other wise.

Just wondering if I should mess with the air screws or needle height before I change any jets again. Also I don't have the air box cover removed yet. One last question I have is do I open up the air screws to lean it or do I close them down? Open up seems right to me but I figured I'd better ask. I've tried adjusting the air screws by watching the idle but havn't gotten that method mastered yet.

Thanks, Chris.

I'd run the 117.5s and a 47.5 pilot jet. I hope your not running a 35 pilot jet when stock is a 45.
    Also take off the airbox lid.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have an old magazine header test article and they found the bike ran will with 122.5 mains and the airbox lid removed. Info about the pilot jets is mixed; they found the bike rich with the stock pilots for some reason but I'm not sure why.

Drop me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy of the test if you want it.

Ed
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It's been a long time since I baught my V&H, back in 1981, but I remember the instruction sheet that came with the pipe, from V&H said remove the airbox lid, go up 1 size on the pilot, but, sorry, I don't remember what size mains they recommended. They didn't mention changing the air screw settings.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

went with the instructions.

The bike was on 35 pilots and 117.5 mains before I put the V&H on. I now have 40's and 122.5's in it so it looks like I need to go back down a bit possibly on the mains to 120's. I'll remove the lid and open up the air screws some before I change the jets again though. #2 and #3 are slightly out of balance but like I said the poping went away when I richened it up. Also it wasn't poping with the stock pipes. If the 120's don't get rid of the soot I'll try the 117.5's again and step up the pilots.

Comment

I would not run a 16 valve 1100 motor with a 40 pilot. The smallest I would run is a 45 which is stock.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

You were right and I should have listened.

You were right and I should have listened. I must have had a brain fart from smelling the gas during the re-jetting. It was a 45 pilot before I started and I put a 50 in it afterwards. Any ways, I left the 122.5's alone and opted to go back to 45's on the pilots. I also removed the air box cover then took it for a ride. The poping is back but it seems to have leaned it out again. I'll put the 50's back in and see if 120's or 117.5's give it the right mixture without the poping. On the plus side I'm close and I can re-jet the thing in less than 1/2 hour now thanks to the stainless allen bolts on the bowles.

Man that is one sweet 1000E on our bike of the month page. I was thinking of submitting my 1100 but I had better detail it again if I want it to measure up. I spent quite a bit of time re-covering my seat but I'd take that one in a second over mine.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

47.5 pilots are perfect for this. The 50s may be too rich. If it smells like gas at idle and the mixture screws don't make much of difference get some 47.5s. You can also do plug chops at idle.
                Last edited by chef1366; 03-01-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Plug chops?

I didn't know they made 47.5's but I'll pick up a set to try em. What are plug chops?

Comment

Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
                    I didn't know they made 47.5's but I'll pick up a set to try em. What are plug chops?
                    With a set of clean plugs or new let it idle for at least ten minutes and pull the plugs. If they are dark you are too rich. You want a light tan color.

Comment

Tried the 50's and 120's

Tried the 50's and 120's and still too rich. I did let it run for a while after I took it for a ride. Poping is gone but geting going from a stop is a little sketchy. I had to order the 47.5's so I'll probably try the 117.5's with the 50's before they come in. I got my 850L to have that chocolate color on the plugs and it ran sweet. I'd settle for any shade lighter than black soot in this case.

Comment

mine was tan, i couldnt believe it, its only got 89 psi of compression, minimum is 99 from my manual
                        i think mine had the $hit ran out of it to ,it has a lil rattle upper,not sure if its the valves chattering,or piston to cylinder wore to much
                        but the only reason im rebuilding it it cause it ran so well ,and smooth even wore out! to me thats a good bike,and i want to see how it does new again

Comment

Working...
                        X