head gasket install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket install

When I was cleaning up the surface on the head, I gouged it up a bit. Nothing too deep, just the usual amatuerish razorblade gouges on the head mating surface. (The head cover itself is spotless as I used a 3m abrasive disc to clean it.)

Do I need to use some goop to seal the head gasket or should I just install with a light coat of oil on the gouged side?

Terminology please. Are you talking about the cyl head gasket or the cam cover to cyl gasket ? for cam cover I would use some non hardening permetex Or maybe a light coat of JB weld & sand smooth

Comment

Head to valve cover? Head to cylinder? If it's the valve cover I'd use a LITTLE black permatex silicone sealer.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My favorite go to gasket sealer is Hylomar.

In three flavors for discerning mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
          My favorite go to gasket sealer is Hylomar.

In three flavors for discerning mechanics.
          Yes. Hylomar rocks!

Please, please, PLEASE don't use silicone.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This may be heresy but I put a piece of 220 wet or dry on a block of wood and lightly scuff the surface. The idea is to keep it light and completely flat do not work any one area to excess, slight cross hatching will be the result. Those gouges have raised edges, remove those and you will be surprised at how small the depression is. This is NOT a good idea on assembled parts that cannot be cleaned thoroughly. Not specific to these heads but I often find that threaded holes have a raised rim around them that should be lowered to the height of the surrounding flat sealing area. On the same theme I will take a large fine file and LIGHTLY work it while it is laying flat on the surface, it will show up any raised or warped areas. If some wrench monkey has been at work the stresses caused will show up with this method.

Comment

Working...
            X