Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle sound when coasting

Hi All,

As I am still finding gremlins with every ride on my bike, I've found another that is bothering me a little.

Whenever I am coasting along, usually slowing down for stop or turn, when I pull in the clutch or have the bike in neutral while I am moving, I get an intermittant knocking or rattle coming from the bottom of the bike?

It is almost as if the chain is bouncing on the center-stand. I am thinking it is something in the clutch.

Your help please. Thanks

is it possibly a cam chain noise??

Comment

The sound seems to be more external. That's why I thought it was the chain hitting the centre stand.

I have a new chain, new sprockets, new clutch cable. I don't feel any vibrations or knocks, I just hear the sound and it is not a constant or consistent sound.

Comment

While "test riding" my wife's 450S I heard some rattling when coasting too. I thought it was the exhaust, then I realized it was the licence plate bolts hanging loose. Might want to look for any loose bolts.

Comment

Isn't that what happens when the clutch basket rivets are loose?

Comment

I was thinking it might be the clutch basket. How can I tell if it is and then how can I fix it?

Comment

rattle in front

My '78 rattles due to brake calipers having excess clearance from front rotors. I haven't been able to make this annoying sound go away, except ride with the front brakes partially engaged?

Comment

Re: Rattle sound when coasting

Most likely the nut holding your countershaft sprocket has worked loose.
                When under power, the power spins the nut tight. On deacceleration, the reverse happens and it will cause the sprocket to chatter as it loosens.

Earl

Originally posted by TheGeneral
                Hi All,

As I am still finding gremlins with every ride on my bike, I've found another that is bothering me a little.

Whenever I am coasting along, usually slowing down for stop or turn, when I pull in the clutch or have the bike in neutral while I am moving, I get an intermittant knocking or rattle coming from the bottom of the bike?

It is almost as if the chain is bouncing on the center-stand. I am thinking it is something in the clutch.

Your help please. Thanks
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When you are coasting with the clutch pulled in, does the noise vary with engine RPM's or is it constant? Raise the engine speed and check it out.

Comment

Swanny,

It doesn't really vary with engine or road speed. It is really more like a smokers cough. It comes without rythym or reason, and then goes away.

The clutch basket issue may have been right, but it doesn' t happen at all when idling. It only happens when I am coasting without power, and only in neutral or with the clutch pulled in.

I thought that when the drive chain was under power it was under stress, therefore it was tight, not loose as it was when decelerating.

** Sorry for the rambling, went out tonight and I thought I could teach my friends some things about drinking. johnnie, jack, and Capt Morgan knew much more than I did. LOL!!

Comment

General,
                      Have you checked your chain tension. If there is too much slack on the chain, it won't make noise during accelleration (the top portion of the chain will be pulled tight). As you start to slow down ( and during downshifts), you get slack in the top portion of the chain and it can slap the chain guard.
                      BK

Comment

After reading your last post - I would have to agree with BK.

Comment

I just had the rivets in my clutch basket replaced and now it is super quiet. It use to rattle when in neutral and with the clutch leaver released. So in your case I don’t think it’s the rivets.
                          Roman

Comment

Working...
                          X