Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper oil checking position.

Hello fellow GS'ers,
    I have searched a lot for the answer to this in previous posts, but have not found a definate solution. When I check my oil in my 82 GS650G, should it be on the center stand, or should I be sitting on the bike holding it straight and bending ovet to see into the sight window?
    Thanks
    Tom

I always do it on a level surface on the centerstand. I figure that in that position the site glass would show the oil as being lower than if it where not on the centerstand...I would rather have a little extra oil than a little less than what I needed.

Hap

Comment

I will take a look at it, so far the oil level is only visible through the sight glass when it is on the wheels and Im on the bike.
      I f it is on the center stand I cant tell if it is reading completely full or completely empty.. (no line) and its kind of tough to watch what it does while putting it up on the stand..
      Thanks for the info
      Tom

Comment

I have the same bike as you, Tom. I check mine on the centerstand. When do you check yours? When it's stone cold from sitting overnight, or right after you shut it down after a run?
        I usually wait 5-10 minutes before checking the oil level after a run.

Comment

I have only checked it when it is cold.. Maybe if I let her run a bit and heat up, it will register in the sight glass when on the center stand.. by the way, I tried that version of putting the bike on the centerstand that was discussed here in the forum not long ago, it worked great!.. I had been holding onto the handlebars as I would if I were on it and pulling like hell at the same time I tried to apply weight to the stand.. needless to say, I went the tough way about it.. thanks to whoever posted the tip.
          Thanks!
          Tom

Comment

If you're having a hard time finding the 'line' just balance the bike and look at the window. That way, you can rock the bike back and forth a bit to see the oil moving. Then you can do the centerstand way if you want, I took my centerstand off (exhaust), so I just do the balance thing any way.

Comment

the balance thing and the centerstand will give different readings of oil because of the position of the engine.

on the centerstand it will show less oil in the window when compared to balancing. this means guys who do the balance trick need to add just a bit more oil to properly reach the full mark if the bike were to be centerstanded.

~Adam

Comment

If you want to check with it on center stand have the rear wheel on the ground, front wheel up in the air, Best way is to change the oil& filter, put the correct amount of oil in the bike and then check the site window in relation to how you check the level weathe on the stand or on the ground

Comment

Proper position

According to my Clymer manual on the '80-'81 GS's the proper position to check the oil level is on the centerstand, which if I had to guess would not be where I would check it since that is not how you go around riding the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                    If you want to check with it on center stand have the rear wheel on the ground, front wheel up in the air, Best way is to change the oil& filter, put the correct amount of oil in the bike and then check the site window in relation to how you check the level weathe on the stand or on the ground
                    This will only work if you are putting oil in a brand new engine for the first time...my Suzuki shop manual says that there are different amounts depending on if you have a new engine and/or if you changed the oil filter.

Hap

Comment

the official Suzuki method for checking the oil level on our bikes is to put the bike on the center stand, on level ground, and to keep the oil level between the marks. "L" and "F"

No rocking, No pushing the back tire down, No voo doo, just sitting on the center stand.
                      on my 1000g when I change the oil and filter, if I drain it good (lean it back while draining) it will take exactly what the manual calls for, right on the full mark.

Comment

MY 750 has an opaque sight window, so the oil level is difficult to see.
                        I put the bike on the centerstand. Unscrew the oil filler cap and shine a flashlight into the filler. The oil level is then easy to see in the sight window.
                        When filling it with oil, the bike takes 3.2 qts if not changing the oil filter and about 3.5 if a new filter is installed. In either case, I just put in 3 quarts, open the 4th and shine the flashlight into the filler neck to see where the oil level is. Then I just add a few ounces at a time and check with the flashlight until it is on the full mark. In no case will I add more than 3.5-3.6 quarts.

Glad the centerstand "dance" worked out for you. Writing it out makes it sound more complicated than it is. Its just too easy now isnt it. eheheh

Earl

Originally posted by MAGICTOM
                        I have only checked it when it is cold.. Maybe if I let her run a bit and heat up, it will register in the sight glass when on the center stand.. by the way, I tried that version of putting the bike on the centerstand that was discussed here in the forum not long ago, it worked great!.. I had been holding onto the handlebars as I would if I were on it and pulling like hell at the same time I tried to apply weight to the stand.. needless to say, I went the tough way about it.. thanks to whoever posted the tip.
                        Thanks!
                        Tom
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The opaque sight window usually only happens in cold weather when doing short trips. Condensation build up.

Solution..go for a long ride )

I did find whne the bike was standard that it used to fog up on the oil window mow. The othe solution is to hot the bike up....

Difficult choices I know....

Comment

Working...
                          X