Front Tire Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Tire Alignment

I recently have rebuilt my front forks. The front tire is now mis-aligned. When the handle bars are point straight, the tire isn't. Any suggestions on aligning the front tire?

Re: Front Tire Alignment

Originally posted by JoCo
    I recently have rebuilt my front forks. The front tire is now mis-aligned. When the handle bars are point straight, the tire isn't. Any suggestions on aligning the front tire?
    This is strange...either your forks are bent or you handlebars are. Another possiblility is a bent front axle-have only seen that once. There are no adjustments for alignment that I know of. This is a long shot, but could one of the fork bottoms be backwards?

Hap

Comment

1. Put the bike up on centerstand and block up the motor so the front wheel doesn't have any weight on it.

2. Loosen the fender bolts, the axle nut, the axle pinch nuts, and the pinch bolts on the triple trees. Just loosen enough to be able to feel a little movement when you wiggle it.

3. Let the front end of the bike down slowly until the weight is on it. The triple tree bolts shouldn't be so loose that the forks slide up.

4. Give the wheel a good shake side to side and tighten everything in the following order: front axle; axle pinch nuts; fender; lower triple tree pinch bolts; upper triple tree pinch bolts.

If nothing is bent, that should straighten it out. It sounds as if you tightened up the triple trees first.

Comment

Good point Gary...I didn't think about that. It still would have been hard to get the axle through if the forks were not aligned.

Hap

Comment

You can also use a small pane of glass laid across the chromed part of the fork tubes to check if the forks are absolutely parallel to each other. If they are not, it is probably because of a slight misalignment of the lower fork clamp / triple tree. You should also check to see if the fork tubes are clamped at exactly the same point on each fork leg.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am hoping to get some time to work on it this weekend. I got to thinking, and I am pretty sure that I snugged the tree up first. Must have been too snug.

Thanks again,

Comment

Working...
            X