Two problems with my '81GS650GL please help and advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two problems with my '81GS650GL please help and advise

Ok I am redoing this '81GS650 GL that I bought May 2002 for $300, my roomate and I rebuilt the carbs in July 2002 and it ran after that but it did not run too well. Then it sat untouched all winter. Then in March 2003, we decided that we were going to get this gem of a bike road ready by the end of the summer. We pulled the engine, drive shaft, wheels, forks etc. off and painted the frame and put everything back together. Replacing all cables and brakes etc. Well 2 weeks ago, we got her purring like a kitten and we took her out in the neighborhood and everything is running well However, there are two problems.
    #1 The throttle is sticking. (When driving and coming to a stop, the RPM's take a while to go down from 3k to <1k. What are the common things that could be wrong with that.

#2 When I was driving it around the block today, I laid into it, not WOT, but close, and the RPM's shoot up without speeding up. So my guess is that the clutch is slipping, we haven't touched the clutch other than replacing the cable. It's not doing it real bad, but when you lay into it is, should I worry about the slipping or just leave it be?

I am sorry for the long post, but I just want to get this bike road worthy b/c it is so fun to ride.

Thanks
    Brian

Re: Two problems with my '81GS650GL please help and advise

Originally posted by donaldbc
    #1 The throttle is sticking. (When driving and coming to a stop, the RPM's take a while to go down from 3k to <1k. What are the common things that could be wrong with that.
    sounds like you're idle fuel mixture is too lean

#2 When I was driving it around the block today, I laid into it, not WOT, but close, and the RPM's shoot up without speeding up. So my guess is that the clutch is slipping, we haven't touched the clutch other than replacing the cable. It's not doing it real bad, but when you lay into it is, should I worry about the slipping or just leave it be?
    Thanks
    Brian
    that does sound like the clutch,as long as it is adjusted correctly, they're not too expensive and pretty easy to put in

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Where do I adjust the mixture?

Is the knob on the back of the carbs?

thanks
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by donaldbc
        Thanks for the reply,

Where do I adjust the mixture?

Is the knob on the back of the carbs?

thanks
        Brian
        I'm not sure what type of carbs you have, it's probably under a plug or in an orifice on the throat part of each carb, maybe top and center, maybe bottom center, probably on the engine end of float bowl,if it's on the engine end, out is richer, if it's on the airbox end, out is leaner (generally) try to adjust each for the highest idle, then back down main linkage till where you want the idle at

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

#2 Clutch. You may think that it only slipps when getting on it in low gear, but may be also slipping some at higher speed, and it will get worse fairly soon. I have replaced clutch and springs on both of my GSs. Was not difficult at all with help of Clymers manaul. Hardest thing was getting case screws loose, replace any that you mess up the head any bit at all, and use antisceeze on all. May also need to replace cover gasket if it doesnt come off well. Clutch plates and springs were $100-125, dont specifically remember.

No need to appologies for length of posting in my opinion, its good to have the extra info.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If you list your location, then maybe someone nearby could help you.

Terry

Comment

I am in Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                X