Vance and Hines for 1982 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance and Hines for 1982 GS850G

I am having some trouble finding a new exhaust system (complete) for my 1982 GS850G.

I have found places such as THIS but they don't sell for the 1982.

Is ti possible to get a V&H 4in1 for a 1982 GS850G? Can I convert one designed for a 1981?

If anyone has a suggestion it would be tremendous.

The only difference for '82 might be the rear mount. You should have no problem fabricating something that would work.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey,

I got the same bike and a V&H for it. Here is what I had to do.
      I bought one for the 1100 or the 1000, can't remember. They all fit the same. The only thing I had to do was come up with a custom bracket to attach the rear muffler part at the back at the foot peg. All it is is a piece of .125"x1/2" bent at about a 90 degree then a 110 degree bend, drilled two holes, one goes behind the foot peg, the other bolts to the muffler.
      Install the pipes to the head, attach the muffler, support it under the bike with something so that it sits where it wants to sit, then custom make a little bracket for the rear. Took me about 1 hour total.

BAM!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

Awesome! Thanks Steve and Skyboy8950!

Comment

Be careful of a muffler support that only fastens in two places, though. Even though everything appeard tight, the muffler would slowly droop down, dragging VERY easily in right-hand turns. I made a plate of 1/8" aluminum (polished, of course , if you look closely, you can see it just under the passenger footpeg) that bolted to the bike in two places, then hung the muffler at a third location.

If your muffler has a track to allow sliding a bolt along its length, you can make a plate to use two bolts in that track, then attach to the frame in one point. Using three points for a mount will prevent rotation which will allow parts to move around.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Making my decision on an exhaust... expensive but seems good...

I'm thinking about going with a MARSHALL Deeptone FULL 4-1 System - Exhaust Kit for the SUZUKI GS850G.

It's "only" $420.00 plus shipping and customs... but it's new and looks awesome.

They also guarantee their product for 5 years and have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I'm in Newfoundland Canada and it's hard to get products on and off this island easily.

Comment

Just as a followup to this whole thing:

I just reinstalled the exhaust this weekend. What I would suggest is put the front pipes on to the head, tighten down all 8 bolts on the flanges, and let the pipes hang. Those 8 bolts hold that exhaust on there really well and it won't move much. Then slip on the muffler. this adds a bit of weight, so support the load slightly with something. This will give you the position that the pipe wants to be in. You can twist the muffler a bit and the mounting tab will get closer/further away from the bike and you'll find the best position. Support that position. Then make your bracket for that position.

As for multiple mounting points, I have the 8 flange bolts and one in the rear. I can see that this would be hazardous if I bottomed out or something, but it is very secure as it is. I can't imagine anything moving around on me. Just my opinion.

Comment

This is listed as fitting your bike. http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/det...duct_id=v12009
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Excellent - thanks guys!

Perfect... I will have to make a decision soon as my renovations will be done to my house and I will have a garage again for my bike... renovations are hard on the head and the bank.

Comment

Working...
                  X