Whats the trick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the trick?

I rebuilt the carbs on my 81 GS1100 E for the first time. Whats the trick to putting the air box on? It won't fit with the carbs on the bike, I guess I'll try taking the carbs back off and put the air box on while they are off. Where is the best place to find new boots the the carb and air box? Thanks

If the boots on the airbox are very hard you will have a heck of a time.
    Try mrcycles.com for some new boots.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On most bikes, the airbox goes in, then the carbs.

There might be one or two that can be removed with the carbs in place, but I have not heard.

Consider yourself fortunate, though, there are a couple of models that require removing the engine to remove the airbox from the frame.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Put the air box in the frame, but don't bolt it to anything. Leave the rear part of the airbox where the filter goes off for now. Push the airbox as far back in the frame as it can go. The carbs can slide in from the right, tilted at about thirty degree angle. You probably want to stop about half way in to attach the throttle and choke cables, have the fuel line attached to the carb T before you start, you can't reach these when it's all together.

A shot of silicone spray lube inside the rubber boots helps get the carbs in without damaging the boots. A ratcheting tie down around the engine can be used to pull the carbs forward and pop them into the boots if needed. Be careful not to break anything if you do this.

It is a LOT easier with new rubber front and rear.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          A ratcheting tie down around the engine can be used to pull the carbs forward and pop them into the boots if needed.
          I LEARNED SOMETHING.

Can I go home now?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi, Mr. drmaxdc, if you'll follow this link, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...30#post1168630
            you'll get a real nice picture tutorial on how to solve the problem.

Comment

The boots are available at http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/.../1/Suzuki.aspx
              You'll want parts 2 and 16 on the AIR CLEANER fiche. I suggest also replacing parts 3, 8 & 17, but that's your call.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                Hi, Mr. drmaxdc, if you'll follow this link, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...30#post1168630
                you'll get a real nice picture tutorial on how to solve the problem.
                Hi,

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan! But on my 850 there is a lot more room behind the engine. I can put the carbs on first and then slide the airbox in behind them.

I was surprised at how easy the operation was. I'm starting to think that there is not another bike that is easier to work on than mine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Put the air box in the frame, but don't bolt it to anything. Leave the rear part of the airbox where the filter goes off for now. Push the airbox as far back in the frame as it can go. The carbs can slide in from the right, tilted at about thirty degree angle. You probably want to stop about half way in to attach the throttle and choke cables, have the fuel line attached to the carb T before you start, you can't reach these when it's all together.

A shot of silicone spray lube inside the rubber boots helps get the carbs in without damaging the boots. A ratcheting tie down around the engine can be used to pull the carbs forward and pop them into the boots if needed. Be careful not to break anything if you do this.

It is a LOT easier with new rubber front and rear.
                  I'll second this advice. If your rubber boots aren't nice and squishy, replace them. You can fight with hard boots forever or it can take you 5 minutes with new ones. And definately don't forget to attach the cables before you get the carbs all the way in. Don't ask me how I know.

Comment

Boots ordered, now the wait! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan! But on my 850 there is a lot more room behind the engine. I can put the carbs on first and then slide the airbox in behind them.

I was surprised at how easy the operation was. I'm starting to think that there is not another bike that is easier to work on than mine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Yep, yanking the carbs on a shaftie is about as easy as it gets.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X