rear caliper removal problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doconabike View Post
    Its off!! I had used my cars scissor jack to raise the front end when I did that and never took it off, so all the weight was on the rear tire

As soon as I removed that and it was back on center stand, the axle slid right out with a few taps Both tires are out, heading to the shop to get em changed! Stay tuned for part II, help putting back in a rear tire
    Good work
    Putting together is the easy part.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Nice work Mr. doconabike!

Yes, the next time will be much easier. Don't forget to pick up some new cotter pins for the axles. Every time I have to change both tires, my bike looks like this:

A little precarious, I would say. But it's like that for only as long as it takes me to get to the tire shop and back. Let us know how yours turns out.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Alright got the bike back and put the tires back on - it was ALOT easier gettin em back on then taking em off. Was pretty smoothless, check out the pics (again cameraphone sorry for the quality).

I went for a ride afterwards, riding very conservatively of course. It was weird the bike felt....different. I know that its new tires, and they are shinko 712 so their not exactly the best tires out there, but the bike seemed really unsteady. And I THINK their might have been a slight wobble going like above 30 - i'm fairly certain the bike shop (very reputable, great guys) did a good job, is their anything I could have done when putting the wheels back on that could cause this?

Comment

Make sure the they seated the beads. There will be a line on the tire right next to the rim. If it dips inside the rim at all take it back.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, do what Mr. chef1366 says and check the bead. As a reminder, take it really easy for the first 100 miles or so until the mold release agent gets scrubbed off those new tires.

New tires always feel a little different for me, even when using a fresh set of the same tires. It shouldn't be "wobbly" though. Do you get a shake from the front end or the back?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X