can this bike cause me any more stess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can this bike cause me any more stess?

well i was working on the 85 550es today and i am stumped and i know it is something stupid but i can't seem to find it. i had the front end assembly off the bike and all was disconnected (guages, signals, controls, etc... i am sure you all get the point). any way the bike was up and running not that long ago and all was working just fine. so today i was installing the front end assembling the front. installed the triples, guages, forks, and before i was going to install the headlight, fairing, and wheel i connected all of the wires for the harness. i am sure by now you can all guess that there is no power at all. nothing works NOTHING. i have power at the battery, power at the fuse box, i have power going to the switch but that is it. everything was working fine a week ago. everything i disconnected has been connected again. what the $%$#. i have decided to take a break and relax. if i keep working i will pop veins!!! any ideas?

the connections in the headlight area are a bit complex
    perhaps you have simply misconnected a wire.
    see basscliffs site for wiring diagram in the manual and chase it out

Comment

Hi,

All I can do is encourage you to take your time and go through the connections and grounds again. With all of the action in the area, maybe a wire got broken but it's not apparent, like broken right at the crimp connector under the insulation. Make sure you don't have a hot wire going directly to ground. Make sure all of your grounds are making good connection. You'll find it. Don't let it frustrate you. It's a process of elimination. The problem will be the last thing you check.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Check the ignition wiring. This would effect the whole bike.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have checked it all several times now. I have power going into the ignition switch but no power when I turn on the key. It is very frustrating especially since I had it all working just the other day.

Comment

Does your bike have a clutch safety switch installed? It is possible that it may have been disconnected and in the process of reconnecting all of those wires you may have activated it again. Grasping at straws here and I sympathize with you, I hate electrical gremlins.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
              I have checked it all several times now. I have power going into the ignition switch but no power when I turn on the key. It is very frustrating especially since I had it all working just the other day.
              That's the kind of thing that will drive you nuts. One firm word of advice, though....DO NOT ask the bike what else can go wrong. They are very sensitive about that it will very likely show you. Just don't ask.

As for you electric gremlin. You said power gets to the switch but nothing when you turn it on. That seems like a simple check to me. Test the continuity through the switch itself; make sure it's working. That's what I'd do first.

Different models behave is slightly different ways of moving the juice but here's what I see in the 1981 GS1000GL diagram I have:

Switch off, none of the 4 posts should have continuity between them. Switch on; The red and the Grey should have continuity (they are connected inside the switch) And the Orange and Brown should have continuity. FWIW when you go to PARK the red and brown hook up.

The color matches are different on the 1980 1000G and on other models. Unfortunately I only have a manual for the "G" models so I can't tell you exactly what should be going on inside your switch but with a proper wiring diagram you can figure it out.

If the switch is good then you are going to have to look carefully at the connections. That's the only thing you changed.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X