Cluch Problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluch Problems!

My 1980 1100ET has a very stiff cluch. So stiff that I have but less that 1500 miles on it and have gone through 3.Lucky they are not to expensive. I have also been unable to adjust the cable properly and the cluch drags while being held in. It becomes a very big problem when doing city rideing because it is very difficult to get my bike in to nuetral while sitting still.

1. My question is should the cluch be this stiff. And if not can it be adjusted?

2. Is the cluck cable that difficult to adjust or dose my cluch need to be rebuilt.

3. Why it so hard to go in to nuetral while siting still?

Thanks for the help!!!!
    Greg

have you adjusted the clutch pushrod adjustment lock screw recently ? the one under the small cover on the left low engine cover*

R

Comment

yes you need to perform the clutch actuator adjustment.

i posted a prodecure for it a month ago. search for clutch adjustment.

~Adam

Comment

It's probably difficult to get into neutral because your clutch is dragging.

First, you need to make sure the clutch is properly adjusted. If you still have problemsm then you need a little trouble shooting.

Is the stiffness due to the cable or the clutch itself? Disconnect the cable from the actuator and pull the lever to see.

If the cable is stiff, then lubricate it. The cable could also be stretching under the load of the clutch and therefore not pulling far enough. If it is stretching, replace it.

If it's not due to the cable, it must be the clutch. Have you, or has anyone replaced the clutch springs with heavy duty units?

Comment

The clutch as far a I know has never been adjusted. I got the bike for free so as for a heavy duty spring I couldn't tell you. I could not find the procedure from Adams earlier post but I do have a Clymer manual and am fairly sure that the adjustment is covered. The cables I have are new and move freely so I will try to take care of the adjustment and see how it works.
          As for the clutch draging I will also see if the adjustment of the cable is in my manuel and try to take care of it. If its not or dose not seam to correct it I will be back in touch.
          Thanks for all the info.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by fast68
            have you adjusted the clutch pushrod adjustment lock screw recently ? the one under the small cover on the left low engine cover*

R
            fast68
            The 1100 clutch actuator is different. It uses an arm located on the right side of the engine.

Comment

Having both a stiff clutch and a high wear rate is an odd combination. The stiff clutch should be due to heavyduty springs, but they should ensure that the plates do not slip and therefore wear rate should be low (unless you are racing it). My guess is that the metal driven plates are deformed. They become bowl-shaped after overheating and this uses up critical clearances in the clutch basket, especially if they have been reinstalled randomly (no longer fitting like stacked bowls).

Comment

Working...
              X