New GS, clutch problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS, clutch problems?

I have been a diehard KZ fan, but have always had an eye out for a 4 valve suzi. Found a beautiful barn find 83 gs1100e in red. I got it home and started working on it. Drained the bowls, put in new gas, new plugs, and new fuel line. Fired up, and runs great even after sitting a few years. It is a flooded mess outside so it wont be able to leave the garage for a while, but i rode from one end of the garage to the other a couple times. When the clutch engages it doesnt make noise, but has a "stutter feeling". It grabs but at first it feels like it grabs rough or skips before engaging. What do you think is the culprit? Something serious or simply in the plates or springs? I will pull the cover off this weekend and look further, but i would like to have an idea of what i should be looking for

Easiest thing is probably to change the oil and filter then run it for a hundred miles or so, and change the oil again. After sitting compressed for several years, the clutch plates are re-impregnating with oil, so give them a chance. Just take it easy on the shifts for a while so you don't tear the plates.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with Steve, don't jump to conclusions. Get the bike out on the road and ride it good and hard. Some Seafoam in the gas tank couldn't hurt either.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I was thinking the same thing ED..Get it out and see how it does under a road situation load. May have a few minorly stuck plates but they should shake loose fairly quickly under a normal riding scenario.. things just get a bit sticky sometimes and remember he said it has at for a "FEW" years....
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

if you have standard mechanical knowledge and don't mind buying a clutch cover gasket..........
          pull the clutch out all the way back to the cases and check the basket and corresponding parts and inspect everything.
          if every things ok then reinstall and your stutter should be gone and you will know that your basket isn't coming apart and going to blow through your cases getting oil on your rear tire causing you to crash and damage your new ride.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            if every things ok then reinstall and your stutter should be gone and you will know that your basket isn't coming apart and going to blow through your cases getting oil on your rear tire causing you to crash and damage your new ride.
            Damn thats a long sentence . And so true.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Damn thats a long sentence . And so true.
              sense as i'm not trying to sell any parts....
              i still preach the truth brotha!
              people who's never owned/worked on dozens of 1100/1150 16v.bikes has no clue how evil the helical gears are and an H/D backing plate kit should be mandatory...EVIL

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. kzjordan,

You've found one of the favorite bikes around here. Give it some TLC and you'll have a ton of fun for a long time. I'd like to cordially welcome you to the forum, the BEST motorcycle forum in the whole interweb! Come on in and make yourself at home! Let me say, "Howdy!"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Everything Terry said! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X