Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is GS850G a cousin to 750 or more like an 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is GS850G a cousin to 750 or more like an 1100?

Is my 1980 850G more like the 750s, the 1000s or the 1100s of the day?
    I know there was 650Gs and 1100Gs shafties, but realtive to the engine, is the engine/ignition the same as the 750 but bored out and modified for shaft or is the engine more similar to 1000 or 1100 but with less displacement? Or is the engine fairly unique for 850s? I think the carbs are unique to 850s.
    As far as the frame and other stuff is that more like its contemperarys 750, 1000 or 1100?
    I thought a better understanding of this would be usefull for having a general idea for usefullness of parts I see on ebay.

I already am familiar with the differnce between 850G and 850L. And I know the difference between 80 and 78-79 850s (carbs, ignition, fenders).

Thanks guys.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

the 850G was based on the 750 design but shares very few parts, it may share more parts with the extreamly rare 750G (they never sold them outside Japan!) as fare as I know only the crank is the same as the 750, the 850 has more in common with the 1000G, but I think only the ignition, transmission, and secondary gear box are shared.
    Nick is the shaftie expert, give him a bit to come on and post.

Comment

You are correct, Focus. The 850 was based on the 750. Suzuki wanted a shaftie to compete with the Yamaha triple 750 shaftie, and the then awesome XS1100, aka "The Excessive Eleven" at the time.

In order to give it more power to make up with the extra weight of the shaft, etc., Suzuki stroked the engine to 850. It first came out in late 78 as a 1979 model.

The GS1000G first came out in 1980; this bike shared an incredibly high number of engine and chassis and body parts with the 1980 GS850G. Same in 1981. So, the 1000G is based on the 850G.

Then in 1982 Suzuki reworked the 850, giving it an improved ignition, tubeless tires (the front wheel is one size larger), and many other small improvements. At the same time, Suzuki came out with the GS1100G and GK, based on the 850/1000 combination. The 82 and 83 GS850G and GS1100G are practically identical to each other. If one swaps side covers, one would easily be fooled.

Hope this nutshell helps. The 750 engendered the first 850, which in turn was followed by the 1000 and 1100 shafties.

Nick

Comment

I would love to get ahold of one of the 750G's to see what is has in common with the 850 and or 1000G, I have yet to hear of one outside of Japan, and dont know if any still exist, it would be a shame if none are still around.
        I wonder why they never exported them?

Comment

Okay, thanks, guys. Your knowlodge is remarkable, and your willingness to share is great, which I have been aware of for some time now, but predicting when each other was gonna log on...wow, man.

So 80 850G was based on 750 as far as the engine is concerned (cyclinders, heads ectera) modified for shaft but rest of bike is differnrt.
          But 850G not really that much the same as 1100s till 82-83.

I can see why I never knew of a 750G if it was Japan only. I know of 1000s but didn't know there was a 1000G (European only?).

What was improvement in ignition in 82? Is that why people are refeing to 3 ohm coils?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The improvement of the ignition of the 82 and 83 GS850G and GS1100G was in the spark advance. Before 82 the advance was mechanical, whereas in 82 the advance became electronic. The igniter box in 82 model 850's was significantly larger than in previous 850's.

I had two consecutive 82 GS850G's, for a total of 11 riding seasons (86 thru 96). Not one problem with the igniter box in either bike. Now I have a 1984 GS1100GK, with the same type of ignition; now in its fourth riding season, not one problem. The stock GS ignition is apparently quite reliable.

First time I'd ever heard of a 750G.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz

First time I'd ever heard of a 750G.

Nick
              Nor did I......

From http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzu...ki_models.html

"The GS750 engine lived on in Japan where it wasn't allowed to sell motorcycles larger than 750 cc piston displacement. Basically the GS750G was GS850G with a 748 cc engine and different handlebar, both models were sport tourers with shaft drive. The GS750G was presented in December 1979.

Suzuki presented the second and final version of the GS750G in February 1981. Cosmetic changes only. This was the last model year for the GS750G.

The GS750GL was another Japanese home market model with the reliable eight-valve engine and shaft drive. The design of the GL was obviously more chopper influenced but mechanically the GS750G and GS750GL were similar. The model was introduced in May 1981.

I haven't found info of any other model years. It's possible that the '81 was the only model year for GS750GL. Probably the model until 1983."

So there you are - 100cc shy of the world's best ever GS

Comment

No, I disagree. The best-ever GS is the 1100G; second best is the 850. They both do everything similarly, and quite well -- except for extended high-speed freeway driving at 80 mph. The 850 is screaming; the 1100 is loafing.

The difference is quite noticeable up there, believe me. Otherwise, they feel identical in handling, brakes, etc. -- after all, frame and brakes are identical.

Thanks for sharing info about the 750G. We all learn something new every time we log on to this crazy site.

Nick

Comment

No, I disagree. The best-ever GS is the 1100G; second best is the 850. They both do everything similarly, and quite well -- except for extended high-speed freeway driving at 80 mph. The 850 is screaming; the 1100 is loafing.

The difference is quite noticeable up there, believe me. Otherwise, they feel identical in handling, brakes, etc. -- after all, frame and brakes are identical.

Thanks for sharing info about the 750G. We all learn something new every time we log on to this crazy site.

Nick
                  Yeah I know. There was an '83 GS 1100G in the family for years. I'm bitter and twisted because I couldn't find an 1100 shaftie and settled for the 850 instead. So I rationalise.....

Thinking of swapping out the shaft assembly on the 850 for better gearing. The engine has plenty of torque and I often drift off the line in 2nd gear save a shift.

Having said that - the 850 is a sweet old girl regardless. There's aren't too many 20 year old bikes you can say that about.

cheers

Comment

I assume Nick means the best ever GS shaft bike, as he has limited or no experince with chain drive bikes...

Then again, I have only ever had a GS chain drive...so I don't know whats best either!

Comment

No, I meant the best GS bike, in my not-so-humble opinion. Period. Not the best shaftie; the best GS bike.

I rode chain-driven bikes from 1970 thru 1979, when I bought an 850 T-3 Moto Guzzi, my first shaftie. Ten riding seasons on chain-driven bikes makes my experience anything but limited. I have experience with chains; you have no experience with shaft. I know better, since I've had them both; shaft is superior.

Nick

Comment

Ahhh yessss, the relentless toll of senile dementia. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Earl

No, I meant the best GS bike, in my not-so-humble opinion. Period. Not the best shaftie; the best GS bike.

I rode chain-driven bikes from 1970 thru 1979, when I bought an 850 T-3 Moto Guzzi, my first shaftie. Ten riding seasons on chain-driven bikes makes my experience anything but limited. I have experience with chains; you have no experience with shaft. I know better, since I've had them both; shaft is superior.

Nick
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl Forbes, I knew you'd be the first one to reply to my last post on this thread.

Gotcha!

Nick

Comment

Aw Nick, Its only that I knew you would be disappointed if I cut you any slack. :-) :-)

Earl

Earl Forbes, I knew you'd be the first one to reply to my last post on this thread.

Gotcha!

Nick
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                            X