01 GSXR front end on 77gs750 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01 GSXR front end on 77gs750 questions

I recently purchased a front end on ebay from a 2001 GSXR 750. I understand that the neck of the older gs750s are smaller than others and there is some modification required to make this front end work on this bike. I have read through past posts and it seems few people have done this. Anyone that has any info on what exactly i need to do please let me know.

Thanks alot

cHrIs

The first thing is you'll have to hope your tapered bearings fit the steering stem of the Gixxer front end. The newer Gixxers use standard caged roller bearings. If you clear that hurdle just use wheel, rotors, calipers, etc from the donor bike and bolt it on. Most people use front ends from earlier Gixxers with tapered bearings.

Comment

The bearing sizes between the 2 bikes are not compatible. You will need to retain the GS steering stem, or modify the gsxr stem.
      If you retain the GS stem, you can press it into the gsxr lower yoke using a sleeve. If you use the gsxr one, you'll have to have it turned down on a lathe.
      The length of the 2 stems will probably be different, and the diameter will be different on the top yoke requiring another sleeve.
      There are also issues with the overall length of the forks.

I have a GS750 with an 86-88 GSXR front end done by retaining the GS stem and fitting a sleeve.

Comment

ok cool these are the answers i wanted.....keep them coming please thanks guys i appreciate it

cHrIs

Comment

Is the fork length of the 2001 unit much different than the 95 one?

My 95 is a bit shorter than the original GS unit, but it still seems to provide enough ground clearance. I don't think it will compress as much as the original. Besides, I think the original rode too high in the front anyway.

Comment

I have forks from a 90 GSXR 1100 (clip ons under the top yoke). I have no ground clearance issues at all, and full adjustability. My front end came to me with the bearings(tapered rollers) and they dropped right in. just use your original dust seal, and the top nut from the new ones. no fuss no muss.

Comment

well good..hopefully that will be the case with mine then lol i guess we'll wait and see when the frontend gets here

thanks guys!!

cHrIs

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                My 95 is a bit shorter than the original GS unit, but it still seems to provide enough ground clearance. I don't think it will compress as much as the original. Besides, I think the original rode too high in the front anyway.
                Steve,
                Because radials do such a good job of soaking up the initial jolt the suspension can be stiffer and have less travel than the stock GS stuff. As long as you don't use the '88 model front end clearance shouldn't be an issue. And it's my understanding most of the 1100 units were longer than the 750 units.

Comment

Working...
                X