What to do if bike dies on the road.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do if bike dies on the road.

Well guys I got my bike (1980 550) running last fall and the first time I rode it the rear brakes locked up and I barely made it home. Over the winter here I have done a lot of work on it, and it is certainly looking good and running good , at least in the garage, and I think it is ready to go. There have been a couple of nice days here in Indiana lately but I've been reluctant to get out on the road because I'm not sure what's the best way to get it home if something goes wrong.

Say I'm 20 miles from home and the chain breaks, what would you do?

Steve

Im new to riding in general, but it seems a good option would be AAA Plus RV/Motorcycle I plan on getting it ASAP.

Comment

Invest the time and effort into get all the systems of the bike running right and you won't have to worry about it breaking down. These bikes are quite reliable when provided basic maintenance.

Failing that, AAA is a good option. So is having a friend with a trailer.

Comment

Cultivate friendships with people who own pickups...

I've been stranded twice on my GS and I've seen a few others experience crashes far from home at GS rallies.

In each case, the kindness of strangers was amazing and much needed.

A roadside assistance plan means that a low bidder tow truck driver who has never seen your bike before will drag it onto his truck with a logging chain... no thanks.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Boy Scouts motto.. be prepared. Put a spare master link in the tool pouch.Assuming the chain break allows the use of a link.. As for if a brake caliper locks up. Take the flat tips screwdriver out of the pouch and try to pry the pads back enough to free up the wheel and just dont use that brake till you get home.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-14-2010, 12:57 AM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Also cultivate friendships with locals who also ride old bikes.

So, you anywhere near Indy?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I think everything is good to go with the maintenance. I'd rather spend $50 on stainless steel bolts than a towing bill. Can you tow a bike behind a Jeep? Anyone tried that?

Comment

Just where is your bike right now????? We used to tie a rope around the steering neck and tow them..both due to break downs and trying to pull start them..thank god i havent had to do that in maybe 20 years now, but i still remember "BACK IN THE DAY!!" LOL
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you are in fear of your bike failing, you should either find a relaible mechanic to check your bike out or get a different one. You should never ride with thoughts of it breaking down, it's distracts you from paying attention to riding.

Comment

My bike is in the garage, where it's been for the last 20 years. I wasn't worried about safety or getting stranded back then. I would have just hitch-hiked home.

Comment

well i am glad its home.. i was getting the vibe it was stranded right now...maybe i am too tired...LOL

Comment

And Mr. Whelan,

I appreciate your concern.

Any bike can fail at any time, and from what I've seen most "mechanics" don't know any more than I do. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing.

Steve

Comment

OHHHH OH...I sense it coming!!!!!!!!!!!! 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1...................
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-14-2010, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I have Good Sam road service since i have a motor home and it also covers motorcycles and anybody in your house hold under 25. Since you will be there when it is towed ask for a flatbed if you cant get 1 make sure they sling it so as not to do any damage. The 1 time I did break down a follow Gsr'er happened by and went home and got his trailer and got me home.
                            As for you locked brakes you could have cracked the bleed valve then pried the pads apart. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              You should never ride with thoughts of it breaking down, it's distracts you from paying attention to riding.
                              Bikes break down, bikers fall down. The old adage; once burnt twice shy, comes to mind.
                              Steve's original question was if something real bad happens what do I do next? Being prepared is a good idea, but other than haveing a complete second bike with you it's hard to know what you are going to break while out for a ride.
                              Riding with thought of what is going to break, or how much it is going to hurt to fall down here distracts a rider. But putting these thoughts out of ones mind isn't any too easy. At some point it is the rider who has to ask himself, do I ride anymore or not?
                              If the answer is I ride, then prepare, put the best with the best and hope for the best. Have a on bike tool kit, bulbs, fuses, duct tape, bunge cords, an extra bit of fuel line, some wire and wire connectors and other parts to replace any on the bike you feel may fail at anytime. Most important bit in this kit may be a charged cell phone w/ gps.
                              However if the answer is I'm too concerned about falling, failing or whatever, park the bike and put a for sale sign on. No one can do anything well if they are overly concerned with the 'what ifs'.
                              In the end it is a balancing act; confidence/fear. I've seen someone's signature line to says something like go fast until your fear of speed is replaced with your fear of death. There are no do overs, go all out for it or stay home and be safe.
                              Steve, remember why you got the bike... and ride! If it breaks call someone to get you home and fix it!
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X