No announcement yet.

What to do if bike dies on the road.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First 25 miles is free, after that it's pricey but the idea is to get off the highway to a business parking lot where the odds of your bike being lifted off are less.

I keep the boards in the truck to use as a ramp. I can get mine in the truck no matter what. I also keep rope in the truck box to tie it down with.

Ratching tie down straps are real handy too.

I agree with Carter that if you worry about everything nothing is worth doing. I've broken down before and met good people everytime that were glad to help. Most people aren't jerks, in fact everyone has been in a jam before.

I don't know if this applies to big cities where the cops are afraid to get out of the cars.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Steve314159 View Post
      Well guys I got my bike (1980 550) running last fall and the first time I rode it the rear brakes locked up and I barely made it home. Over the winter here I have done a lot of work on it, and it is certainly looking good and running good , at least in the garage, and I think it is ready to go. There have been a couple of nice days here in Indiana lately but I've been reluctant to get out on the road because I'm not sure what's the best way to get it home if something goes wrong.

Say I'm 20 miles from home and the chain breaks, what would you do?

Steve
      One of the tips I read somewhere that has helped me figure out the right stuff to put in a toolbag; so it has what you need, but not a ton of extraneous junk you don't is this:
      Start with an empty toolbag.
      Whenever you do maintainence on the bike, put the tools you use in the bag.

Comment

Working...
      X