Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bleeding brakes --- lots of air

1981 gs850g ~35000 miles

ok i installed the wheel. now the brakes. my reservoir (master cylinder) had completely disintegrated one day so i installed a new reservoir and started bleeding my brakes. i bled the brakes on the far side (in relation to the reservoir) first w/ no problems. i switched over to the the near side and lots of problems. at first it went great... after about 3 pumps w/ very few bubbles, it started to get lots and lots of smaller bubbles and then a good 1 feet (of 5mm tube) of no fluid and then after another 2 or 3 pumps of very few bubbles and lots of fluid the cycle repeats itself--i did this about 5 or 6 times. i checked the line for leaks...none.. i rode around my neighborhood and the brakes feel exactly the same as before--intermittenly spongy but overall not bad. please help.

once again check for leaks! bleed valve may be opened too wide close the valve maybe a 1/4 turn and try again. Don`t let the brake master cylinder run dry or you will have to start all over again.

Comment

now when i check for leaks, i am checking for any brake fluid coming out of any connections and just the presence of any brake fluid period on the lines. none found. i made sure the master cylinder was at least full to the low mark at all times. as for the bleed valve...at first that's what i suspected was my problem. i thought the line was sucking in from the 5mm tube so i tightened the bleed valve 1/4 to 1/2 turn more and still the same cycle.

Comment

R u using Dot 3 brake fluid? Drain the system and swap the bleed valves and see if the problem moves to the other side. The bleed valve may not be closing completely and allowing air to enter the system C Inspect the valve seating surface too. If bleed valves r bad, get Russel speed bleeders Avail at Dennis Kirk.
        Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X