86 GS550 bogging at 7k RPM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 GS550 bogging at 7k RPM.

My bike has been running very poorly lately. If I accelerate it will bog excessively at about 7k RPM and will not rev any higher than that. If I open up the throttle while driving it will hit about 7k RPM and will bog and stay at 7k until I let off the throttle. My battery is pooched and barely holds a charge (I almost always need to boost my bike to start it) and there is a ground cable barely connected. Could any of these be the reason for my bogging problem? If not, any other suggestions as to why my bike is bogging?

Thanks
    Paul.

um a loose grounding cable needs immediate clean up and tightening

the drop off at high RPM is probably due to a failing charging system causing the depletion of the battery

these symptoms are pretty typical of the dead or dying regulator rectifier

get the maual form basscliffs website for model specific info on troubleshooting

t

Comment

Hi,

Try the Stator Papers to troubleshoot your charging system. Make sure your carbs are clean, the air intake system is properly sealed (NO air leaks!), properly cleaned and oiled air filter, good spark plugs and plug caps, etc. Check the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". It all has to be good in order to run good.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If this performance degradation has been sudden then it is almost certainly a charging issue

most likely thing is your reg rect is dead or dying
        its under the seat the finned mjetal thing
        if you remove it do not be surprised if you see evidence of high heat.
        If it looks bad it almost certainly is, but the only way to be sure is to do the resistance tests in the manual. This is a god awful expensive part form Suzuki but alternatives do exist. There is a guy on here that sells a more robust Honda unit as a replacement.

If the reg rect passes inspection
        button up the ground

recharge the battery on a trickle charger and check to see if it holds a charge.

I assume the bike is starting and idling OK
        drive through your rpm ranges
        drive in a loop around your house as pushing the bike is not a fun exercise.

if it is running great except past 7k it may be that your plug caps have deteriorated internally. They have an odd resistor and spring inside that can get corrded to the point where resistance is jsut to high

these can be cleaned as the brass fitting inside the cap can be screwed out and the internal inspected and cleaned up.

New caps would be easier though.

WHat you have described has happened to me on a few occassions and what I have described was the root cause.

Comment

thanks alot for the quick replies I'm sure they will help me find the problem. I will get to work early tomorow morning. How much does a new rectifier cost?? Once again thanks.

Comment

OEM cost an outrageous sum especially for a POS thats headed for premature failure anyway.

Electrosport has an aftermarket items available.

but some on here have stated Electrosport quality has waned over the years.

Duaneage sp.? may be able to help on the reg rect issue

as long as the stator passes the 75VAC at 5000 RPM test you wont be neediong one of those.

Comment

Working...
            X