Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vroom vroom vroom! She starts!

Below are some of the things I have been working on for the past month:

• Tore all the way down to replace base gasket.
    • Replaced all gaskets I had access too (all but the oil seal on the oil pump and some random o-rings and washers that came with my gasket kit)
    • Cleaned all the parts thoroughly. Some went through the dishwasher.
    • Removed the oil pan and cleaned it out.
    • New rings.
    • Replaced stator with new unit.
    • Replace regulator/rectifier. Connection between the two were shorted/corroded together.
    • Polished all previously polished aluminum surfaces.
    • Installed a SS bolt kit.
    • General cleaning/tidying of wires and such.
    • Of course, new oil everywhere.

Well, tonight, I put the carbs on, put the tank on and she started right up at about 20 seconds of cranking. I have yet to go through the carbs to clean them up for the season (did thorough dip and all last year), so I have a bit more to do, but I'll be riding this weekend!

I would like to say this: I don't think I coulda done it without you guys. Yea, I've rebuilt engines before, but this is a different beast. You've got to consider this, don't buy aftermarket gaskets, you need this oil, don't forget to do this other thing, etc. So, thank you. And hopefully I will have at least a full year (which would be my first) of being able to ride my motorcycle without major work to be done on it. Bam!

Excellent! I look forward to saying the same thing.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Nice work!

Now let's see some picures!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
        ... I have yet to go through the carbs to clean them up for the season (did thorough dip and all last year), so I have a bit more to do, but I'll be riding this weekend! ...
        If you did a proper strip and dip last year, then did a proper winterization (or kept riding often enough to keep fresh gas in there), you shouldn't have to do anything to the carbs. Usually, the biggest reason to go through the carbs is because of that dreaded person called previous owner.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I unfortunately did not do a proper winterization (yea yea, I know, but things happen) and so it should only take an hour or so to clean them out quickly. NBD.

Comment

Working...
          X