Headlight & charging system. '80 850G.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight & charging system. '80 850G.

My 1980 GS850G has a sealed beam headlight. I was looking in the Suzuki manaul, the addendem for GS850GT shows all the changes for the '80 model ("T"); the electronic ignition, the CV carbs, the pre-muffler, the 4 way light turnsignal switch, no kick starter, the different brake master cyclinder, and the Halogen Headlight . . . ah, what? Halogen Headlight?!?
    The very reason I was looking in manaul was to find any specs on the charging system to see if it could handle upgrading to a halogen headlight and the manaul indicates that it should already have such. Anybody have any further insite into this?

As far as I know the bike is all stock (I am 3rd owner). Although prevouis owner said it had had a Windjammer fairing on it, but he put back all the original stuff the original owner gave him.

The manaul didnt give any watt nor amp ratings of the charging system. When the bikes design was changed to the Halogen headlight was the charging system upgraded? And if so, how can I tell which charging system which I have?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

An H4 55/60 watt would be an excellent replacement for the sealed beam Some people like the 80/100 watt but they have a very short life span and will be marginal with the GS electrics plus they are illegal in most states

Comment

The 1979 GS850GN was imported into North America with a tungsten sealed beam. The 1980 GS850GT came with a halogen lamp, 55-60. The charging system is different in the 1980 -- the stator is different and improved: 18 magnets instead of 12. This was done to compensate for the added current draw, and for the hard-wired headlight that stayed on all the time. The 79 had an on/off headlight switch.

I agree that a high-powered headlight on an 850 is asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        An H4 55/60 watt would be an excellent replacement for the sealed beam Some people like the 80/100 watt but they have a very short life span and will be marginal with the GS electrics plus they are illegal in most states
        If you can fit a H4 55/60, spend the money and get a decent globe. Navara Plus 60 series for example do a good job. Note these are NOT the 'blue' globes which are a con.

Forget the 80/100. Too much for the changing system IMHO and you'll get the same usable result with a good 55/60 and clean reflector & lens assembly.

Comment

Thanks,
          So is seems that you are saying that the H4 Halogen 55/60 is more watts than a sealed beam, and that a larger stator was installed when they went to the H4.

And you guys repeat that 80 850G should have an H4 Halogen, like my manaul indicates. What do you think about the fact that my 80 GS850G doesnt? Maybe some model year changes made later in the year, and I got an earlyier one? Any comment?

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Somebody must have substituted an older sealed beam unit at some time. No interim model year changes that I'm aware of.

By the way, you can buy a cheap sealed beam halogen headlight at any auto parts store and install it in your GS. I have one on my bike and it illuminates just fine. It's a 55/60 also.

Nick

Comment

Thanks guys.
              (would have responded sooner, but was all LovSaned up the last couple of days.)
              Humm, a sealed beam halogen headlight...at auto parts store.... now there is an idea. Just take some physical measurments, and see that its not more than 55/60 watts, I should try that. May have a bit of a different light pattern, but lots more and whiter light anyway.
              And assume I have the charging system intended for that, probably take voltage readings to verify.
              Thanks.

Comment

Believe me, you have the charging system capacity for a sealed beam 55/60 headlight. I had a 1980 GS850GT before I bought my present GK, and that's what I had to light up my way. It worked just fine for the two riding seasons I had it, with no electrical or charging problems.

Nick

Comment

As for the 80/100 lights, aren't they advertised as using the same amount of energy as the 55/60, but the light output of a 80/100? If this is the case, you could use the brighter bulbs without taxing the electrical anymore then the smaller bulb.

Comment

At risk of diverting off into an other subject: Naw, dont want an 80/100 watt even if the elctrical requiremnets were not a problem. I my opinioon those are the headlights that I sometimes see on bikes and dont like for the following reasons, (weither its an aiming problem or not):
                    - Dont want to annoy other people as much as those bother me. I assume those are the 100 watters.
                    - They appear to oncomming traffic like they are just burning a hole into space. Cant see what its on, what it is, just a hole burning in space, no depth perception of distance/speed.

Comment

I don't understand why you're all against the 80/100 w halogen bulb. I've been running it on my 850 for 6 months and 4000 miles with no problems. It's actually lightens the load on the charging system, because the extra current it's absorbing would otherwise be dumped to ground through the R/R. I know this is the case because the R/R feels much cooler than it used to. With the beam properly adjusted it doesn't bother other motorists any more than their lights bother me....... and it's nice to see where you're going.

Comment

I currently run a 60/55 (hi-lo). When I did more night riding and distance work I always ran a 130/90, easily handled by the charging system. The main limit is the reflector as most will not handle the extra heat in the long term. I have a Marshall rally grade reflector (and a spare one somewhere). In fact I used to run this setup plus handlebar warmers...that was pushing things a bit but was great on freezing night trips.

A 100/55 is a good compromise for around town, but with more power on high beam when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                          I don't understand why you're all against the 80/100
                          GUY, I have had terribly bright lights on bikes annoy me and I would not want to do that to others. I assume those were the 100 wattters, but now I understand there actually are bulbs more than 100watts, and of course the aiming and the reflector have some influence on the situation. Also: I was grumpy that day (so my wife said later that day).
                          DAVE "REDMAN".

Comment

Don't worry about it.....I'm grumpy most days myself. If you spent any time enduring Irish roads after dark you would want bright lights. 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                              Don't worry about it.....I'm grumpy most days myself. If you spent any time enduring Irish roads after dark you would want bright lights. 8O

Interesting statement. Unfortunately for me I will probably never have the experience day or night. I have an 80 750L with a headlight switch?Hmmmmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X