pilot fuel screw settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot fuel screw settings

When I was cleaning my carbs, I took note of how many turns the pilot fuel screws were set at and they were all 4 turns out from bottom (that is four 180 degree turns, I don't know if a turn constitutes a 180 degree turn or a 360 degree turn, if someone can tell me I'd love to know). Does that seem like a lot? The bike has never run good since I bought it a few months ago. Now that I've got the carbs reinstalled, I would like to know about where I should go with the pilot screw setting. By the way the pilot fuel screws are very difficult to adjust when on this bike, especially carbs 2 and 3.

One thing i've noticed so far is, cylinder one runs warm not hot. 2-4 are nice and hot, but 1 is only warm. Could this be from running too rich? Should I try to tighten up the pilot fuel screw to lean it out? Lean runs hotter right?

360 degrees constitutes a turn. so your 4 x 180 turns is really only 2 full turns.

If I'm not mistaken, on the stock 550, the pilot fuel screw should only be out about a half turn or so?

Comment

Yep, you had them out TWO turns, not FOUR.

Either way, it was too much.

If your bike has the stock airbox and exhaust, a good setting for the fuel screw would be about 5/8 to 3/4 turn out from lightly seated.
      That would be 225 to 270 degrees, just to be sure you understand "turn".

The air screws on the sides usually go about double that as a starting point, so start with them between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 turns out. When the bike is warmed up, adjust the air screws for highest idle speed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not meaning to hi-jack here...just tossing in a tech question regarding intitial jetting.

Is there anything in the on-line manuals giving you what the initial settings (amount of turns out from fully seated) the various jets should be?
        My carbs are completely torn down and I'll be reassembling them this weekend I think. I'm running a stock airbox and filter with a 4 into 1 with the baffling material still in it.

Comment

Working...
        X