Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions about valve removal & cleaning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about valve removal & cleaning...

I'm removing the valves from my 1100ex head & need some lessons/tips/advice on a few things:
    1) I'm planning to use a bench mounted wire wheel to clean up the carbon deposits on the valves. Do I use brass or steel brushes?

2) Will this brushing process harm the sealing face on the valve?

3) What's the best way to clean the carbon off the head - drill mounted wire brushing?

4) When I lap the valves back into their seats, is there a recommended compound to use? I bought a tube of Permatex "valve grinding compound" that states it can also be used for "lapping" on the package. Is this stuff acceptable?

5) After lapping, what's the best way to clean off the residual lapping compound from the head? Spray it down with brake cleaner?

6) I still need to remove the valve stem oil seals - I know there's lots of posts here about how to remove them, but what DON'T I want to do?

7) I know the valves need to go back to the seats from where they came, but does the rest of the valve hardware (caps, springs, keepers) have to go back where they originally came from?
    Sorry for the twenty-questions routine, but I've not done this before & I want to get as much info up front before I start.

TIA,

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Wire wheel will do fine on the valves and combustion chamber (leave the valves in the head while do the combustion chamber). Brass wheel sounds good but regardless, you want to keep the wheel away from the sealing surfaces.

That lapping compound will work fine. Lapping is not for reconditioning the seat and valve, it's more for cleaning and verifying the sealing contact area - I recommend doing the minimum amount of lapping possible. You can clean the parts with brake cleaner or by washing in soap and water.

Removing valve stem seals can be a bear. I use a hook tool and pliers but what ever you do just don't get heavy handed because I've read here about people snapping off valve guides.

The springs, seats, etc don't need to go back into the same hole but take note that the springs typically have an up and down orientation so pay attentention to this detail while assembling.

Good luck Mike and don't forget to take some photos.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed, I'll put up some pics as I go...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hey Mike, give me a call would you please? 714-356-7845. Thanks, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by teddux
          LoL, ray, lemme pull out my MagicJack!
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            The springs, seats, etc don't need to go back into the same hole but take note that the springs typically have an up and down orientation so pay attentention to this detail while assembling.
            Closely wound coils to the bottom, on valve spring seat. Both inner and outer springs.

Comment

Working...
            X