Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki Feeler Guage set (09900-20803)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki Feeler Guage set (09900-20803)???

Can anyone tell me what the smallest size guage is in the Suzuki feeler guage set.

I have an after market set an the smallest is .025mm. Just want to know if the Suzuki Gauge has smaller increments?

Right now my clearances are definatly out of whack. I should just take my shims out and figure out what the size I need.

0.025mm is smaller than you really need, as it is less than the minimum clearance. If it won't go in, but you can still turn the bucket and shim, you at least have some clearance, so changing one shim size will probably be enough.

For a little help with your upcoming valve adjustment, see the last part of my sig.

Oh, when you take your shims out, just do one at a time, put it back in before rotating the engine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I found a decent feeler gauge set at my local auto parts store. The smallest is .04mm and has .01mm increments up to .10mm. The clearance spec on my engine is .03mm - .08mm. If the .04mm doesn't fit, I go ahead and change the shim to the next smaller size. I like running my valves on the loose end of spec, sometimes as much as .10mm. "A slappy valve is a happy valve."

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Most motorcycle shoppes will have a rack of Bikemaster tools and such. They sell a nice metric feeler gauge set that goes down to .03mm.

Like BC said, if .04mm won't fit, you won't learn anything new or useful with a smaller gauge -- you put in the next smaller shim and re-measure.

.03mm is REALLY thin -- feeler gauges get a little hard to use when they're that flimsy.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I agree with BassCliff, the metric feeler gauge that starts with .04 MM and goes up to .10 MM and above is plenty good. I got mine at Pep Boys for about $5. If the .04 MM doesn't fit, just assume the gap is .03 MM and put in the next thinner shim. I ALSO bought the BikeMaster gauge with 32 blades last weekend, and the .03 MM gauge was like trying to measure with a wet noodle.

A pro can use the fancy stuff, but I'm just trying to keep from burning my valves up with too little gap. If the gap goes up from .04 MM to .09 MM using the next thinner shim, that's fine with me, I'm not trying to win any races.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys,

your input is very helpfull. I have the proper tool to measure as my lowest is .038. Ive taken all my measurements and found out all my shim sizes but I came across a note online and it said something about Top Dead Center (TDC) do I have to get the engine at TDC and if so how do I know if I am at TDC? would it be showsomewhere in the crankcase? did I measure incorrectly?

I made sure the cab lobes were perpendicular with the engine case when I measured. But I measured all the lobes vertical. Am I suppose to measure intake (Lobes vertical) and Exhaust horizontal?

Thank you in advance for any guidance

Comment

Read the manual again.

Align the exhaust cam so #1 is pointing forward and #2 is pointing up.
              Don't move anything, measure clearances for exhaust 1&2.

Rotate the crank 180 degrees, the intake cam should have #1 up and #2 rearward.
              Don't move anything, measure clearances for intake 1&2.

Rotate the crank 180 degrees, the exhaust cam should have #4 forward and #3 up.
              Don't move anything, measure clearances for exhaust 3&4.

Rotate the crank 180 degrees, the intake cam should have #4 up and #3 rearward.
              Don't move anything, measure clearances for intake 3&4.

Nowhere in the manual does it say to set it to TDC for any cylinder. But, to answer your question, you can find TDC by looking at the ignition plate that is right where you are using that 19mm wrench on the right end of the crank to turn the engine over to check your valve clearances.

Remember that your feeler that says "0.038mm" is an approximation. It is actually an INCH feeler that is 0.0015" and also has the metric approximation.

To help you some with your shim selection, feel free to take advantage of the invitation at the end of my sig.

When you remove shims to check their sizes, DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE. You can damage the cam if you rotate without shims.

Last edited by Steve; 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I just posted another post inregards to that same question. I wasnt sure if anyone would answer what I was asking with the Thread Title that I had. Hope no offence was taken, I appreciate your input and look forward to using your info tonight.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi Mr. GMSKEE,

I documented one of my valve adjustments pretty thoroughly with pictures. You might find it helpful. There's a PDF file on my website entitled Valve Adjustments (8 Valve) if you'd care to take a look. Have fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X