Break-in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break-in oil

I am finally putting my engine back together after new rings and a cylinder hone. I was about to put in fresh oil and, and I'm just wondering if there any certain oil or viscosity I should use? Is break-in oil the way to go, or could I stick with the regular 10w40 Castrol?

I usually use 3 quarts of HD W30 and one quart of 10W40.
    You DID use assembly lube on the friction parts, right?
    (Cam bearings, cam lobes, cam gears, piston skirts and rings.)

Eric

Comment

Can't imagine why one would not go with all four quarts of 10w-40, especially for "break-in".

The 10w part says that it flows like a 10w at colder temps (like when you start the bike) and will flow through the small passages in the bearings easier than thicker oil (30w). Personally, I would go with the 10w-40. Castrol is fine.

Also personal preference, but I would run that oil for just a few miles to flush all the crud out of the engine, change the oil and filter, run it for about 100 miles, then change the oil and filter again. After that, you can resume normal intervals.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Higher zinc content for cam/bearing break-in.

Eric

Comment

I am with Eric on using a higher zinc content oil for break in. I recommend it for every day use & ESPECIALLY break in! If you can get it, get Penn Grade 30 or 40 wt. It is what used to be the old Kendall "green" oil & that stuff is by FAR the best dino oil you can get! Ray.

Comment

Didn't realize that the zinc content would be different.

Is that because of the "HD" or the straight-weight?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Where are you guys getting this stuff that straight weight has higher zinc? Go to Bob is the Oil guy and look up some oil analysis threads, I've never seen higher zinc on straight weight like you guys claim.

Regarding using straight 30W, i wouldn't do it since it's too thin. Use 10W-40 motorcycle oil or 15W-40 diesel oil since that DOES have higher zinc than the common auto oils.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Both, actually. 15W40 Diesel oil is also a good alternative for higher PPM of Zinc.
                I prefer a thicker oil film when breaking in. More cushioning between parts.
                But, I'll let Ray explain...

Eric

Comment

How about saw dust and crisco?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                    I prefer a thicker oil film when breaking in. More cushioning between parts.
                    I have been operating on the principle that, although the thicker oil might have better cushioning, it will only have it if it can get into that space in the first place.

I could be wrong, it's happened before.

And it'll probably happen again.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

If you're in the UK use GTX. If you're not, don't. We've got more zinc in ours.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Where are you guys getting this stuff that straight weight has higher zinc? Go to Bob is the Oil guy and look up some oil analysis threads, I've never seen higher zinc on straight weight like you guys claim.

Regarding using straight 30W, i wouldn't do it since it's too thin. Use 10W-40 motorcycle oil or 15W-40 diesel oil since that DOES have higher zinc than the common auto oils.
                        Ed, the PENN GRADE is a racing oil that HAS MORE ZINC! Try some research on what I post BEFORE wanting to argue everything. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          Ed, the PENN GRADE is a racing oil that HAS MORE ZINC! Try some research on what I post BEFORE wanting to argue everything. Ray.

Asking a legitimate question is hardly an arguement.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try and find a high zinc oil locally for the break-in, and I'll change to the Castrol after a few (maybe 15 or 20?) miles.

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                            I usually use 3 quarts of HD W30 and one quart of 10W40.
                            You DID use assembly lube on the friction parts, right?
                            (Cam bearings, cam lobes, cam gears, piston skirts and rings.)

Eric
                            I put some oil on the piston skirts and sleeves and plan to fill the valve recesses with oil until the cam lobes are covered. Is assembly lube necessary as well? I was under the impression that assembly lube wasn't entirely necessary and might interfere with the wet clutch (although I am a noob with rebuilds and could be completely mistaken here).

I've placed the block and head but haven't torqued anything down yet, so I could do the pistons without too much hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Audioslave784 View Post
                              Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try and find a high zinc oil locally for the break-in, and I'll change to the Castrol after a few (maybe 15 or 20?) miles.

I put some oil on the piston skirts and sleeves and plan to fill the valve recesses with oil until the cam lobes are covered. Is assembly lube necessary as well? I was under the impression that assembly lube wasn't entirely necessary and might interfere with the wet clutch (although I am a noob with rebuilds and could be completely mistaken here).

I've placed the block and head but haven't torqued anything down yet, so I could do the pistons without too much hassle.
                              You shouldn't oil the sleeves. It disrupts the breaking in of the rings.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X