Trans noise/problem 1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans noise/problem 1100EZ

My trans makes noise when it is running in neutral with the clutch pulled in. Just put in a gorilla clutch hub and ape clutch nut. I took the clutch apart to inspect it. I have also put in 750 oil pump gears. Part # 20 (the bearing), has more height to it than the spacer or the gear. So, that bearing is taking the torque pressure from the clutch nut when I tighten it up when it should be #19 spacer that takes the load I used the 750 gears, but used the spacer and bearing from the 1100 Also, the oil pump drive gear doesnt line up that well with the driven gear.
    What have I done wrong??
    Stupid picture is too small I dont know why.

Now that you're comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together.......could you do it again and show us those pics ? Shouldn't be that hard really. Sounds like its gotta come apart again anyway.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Now that you're comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together.......could you do it again and show us those pics ? Shouldn't be that hard really. Sounds like its gotta come apart again anyway.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ds-n-ends.html
      Its apart right now, trying to decide what to do with it.

Comment

You want pics, here they are.
        See the pic with the gear, bearing and spacer laying down, how the bearing sits higher?
        I think maybe the washer in behind on the 750 is thinner I wish i still had the 750 here to check.
        I put in all new steels and full set of heavy duty EBC springs to help with some clutch slipping, the old steels looked like they were warped.
        Springs on the basket are nice and tight, clutch hub nut was still tight when i took it off.

Comment

i believe the trans bearing washer is the same.
          is all that you replaced was the pump gears?
          if the 750 trans bearing washer is thinner..you should not have to mix and match.
          the 1100 trans washer is what you need to use if different.

back up and think about the changes you made..don't create a another problem.
          the 750 pump gears are added to 1100/1150's without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            i believe the trans bearing washer is the same.
            is all that you replaced was the pump gears?
            if the 750 trans bearing washer is thinner..you should not have to mix and match.
            the 1100 trans washer is what you need to use if different.

back up and think about the changes you made..don't create a another problem.
            the 750 pump gears are added to 1100/1150's without any problems.
            I just replaced the gears only. But, I have no idea of whether what was in there before was the proper stuff to begin with The old clutch rattled so bad I wouldnt have heard the tranny noise. Thats IF this setup is causing my trans noise and not the trans itself. But it does go quiet when I pull in the clutch.
            If you look at the oil pump drive gear/bearing/spacer, I dont think the bearing should have more height than the gear or the spacer, that would put the torque load on the spindly little bearing.
            The PO made several dumb mistakes putting it back together.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM.

Comment

back up and think...
              is this the 1st time using the HD basket?
              who rebuilt the basket?
              did you split the cases?
              was the trans dissembled?
              are all the bearing locating rings in there proper places in the case halves?
              are you using the same shims/spacers/inner hub/ect..?
              the 750 pump gears alone will not cause the problem your describing.
              added:
              i see a big weld bugger on the cases near the crank...
              i'm just wondering about the assembly of the engine.
              Last edited by blowerbike; 03-19-2010, 07:01 PM. Reason: more stuff

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                back up and think...
                is this the 1st time using the HD basket?
                who rebuilt the basket?
                did you split the cases?
                was the trans dissembled?
                are all the bearing locating rings in there proper places in the case halves?
                are you using the same shims/spacers/inner hub/ect..?
                the 750 pump gears alone will not cause the problem your describing.
                added:
                i see a big weld bugger on the cases near the crank...
                i'm just wondering about the assembly of the engine.
                Yes, first time with the HD basket. I took it apart, clamped it together and had a friend weld it.
                The cases were split by the po and again by me just a while ago. Mostly because it leaked oil and wanted to inspect it. I dont know why the po split the cases. The trans gears were not removed from the shafts, but were inspected.
                I dont know what kind of life this thing had, there are a few places where the casting is cracked/broken/welded. It runs fine, shifts good, only problem is the rattle with the clutch out. Although TONS quieter now that the clutch hub is rebuilt.

Comment

The thickness of the bearing is normal. It fits into the recessed area on the back of the large steel hub/spacer ( #3 on your fiche).

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                    The thickness of the bearing is normal. It fits into the recessed area on the back of the large steel hub/spacer ( #3 on your fiche).
                    Ahhh, thanks for pointing that out, I dont think I ever looked at the backside of that.
                    I am reassembling it now. Maybe the noise is normal, or a bit louder than normal, its louder than my 750 for sure. Maybe I will take a sound/video clip of it and post it.

Comment

What is your end play and how thick is your thrust shim?

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X