Speedo drive bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo drive bad?

Trying to get the speedo working correctly on my 80 GS450L. When I rode the bike for the first time, it was working fine for about 3 or 4 hours then it started screaming, hissing, jumping, then broke. I discovered that the drive end of the cable (what I would call the fork end) was broken off, the end of the cable was frayed and twisted.

I have two working gauges and a brand new speedo cable. Here's the question. The prong on the speedo drive that slides into the cable fork doesn't spin when the tire does, and won't budge with a pair of pliers. Do I need to replace my speedo drive? Could the axle be too tight?

Thanks
    Brett

I have a good working used spare here and when I spin the part that inserts in the wheel the prong spins.

Looks like your unit is damaged.

Comment

You could try taking apart but its probably easier to just replace it with another one. Mine stopped working after 11k miles.

Comment

Don't think these are user serviceable. Mine did the same thing without tearing the end off the cable. Mine still spins but is very gritty, "notchy" feeling. It shreiked and howled for quite a while. They are plentiful and cheap..... Just replace it.

Comment

The one on my bike has a snap ring that you can remove to get to the gear inside. Your supposed to lubricate/clean the gear every so often.

How did the factory put the speedometer gear into the housing if it didn't come apart?

Comment

If you snapped the cable the speedo drive (at the wheel) is turning. It doesn't spin at the speedo unless it's spinning at the wheel.
            I'd say your speedos need oiled.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Will a drive from a 81 GS850 fit my bike? (80 GS450L)

Thanks all

Brett

Comment

Will a drive from a 81 GS850 fit my bike? (80 GS450L)
                You need to check the part number on the 850 and see if it will interchange with your 450. The 850 G part number is 54600-18401.

So the answer is no it is not the right part for your bike. The one for a GL is also not the correct one.

Pretty much your only choice is to use one from an 80-82 450L.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X