Did I miss something??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I miss something??

ok..This winter i took the engine covers off my 77 GS 750 and polished them all up, bead blasted the engine, did fork seals and fork oil..all the basic repairs/maintenance one would normally do. BEFORE i took the covers off i didnt have any leaks.. NOW i have a oil leak thats cripping oput the bottom of the stator cover. I ordered a new gasket and it will be here next week. While i have the cover off yet again is there anything i should also check to be sure all is well once i replace the cover? Any seals back there i also need to give some attention to?? maybe a crankcase seal letting oil into the stator area??? imdont think oil in there is normal.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Cutting out a new gasket is easy, just use the old gasket as a pattern or use the cover to make an imprint on some gasket paper. Cut out the holes with a hole punch and sissors for the rest.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

whys there oil in there?? is that normal? I did notice a very little bit when i took it off but its leaving a good softball sided stain where it sits.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The stator is cooled by engine oil. Oil behind the stator cover is quite normal, and very much required. Make sure all the mating surfaces are nice and flat as well, a small nick can cut into the gasket, causing a leak.

Comment

i had a good look when i replaced everything and i will again when the new gasket is in hand.. I even had wiped all the mating surfaces with laquer thinner to be sure they were well cleaned... guess i give it another try. how about a thin layer of blue RTV to enhance the gasket also?

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            i had a good look when i replaced everything and i will again when the new gasket is in hand.. I even had wiped all the mating surfaces with laquer thinner to be sure they were well cleaned... guess i give it another try. how about a thin layer of blue RTV to enhance the gasket also?
            I'd stay away from the RTV if you can. Anything that comes into contact with oil has a change to break away and find it's way into one of the many small orifices that are necessary for oil flow in the engine. You ARE using a torque wrench to tighten those cover bolts, right? I imagine overtightening might crush the gasket beyond usefulness.

Is the leaking gasket new OEM? Or did you reuse the old one?

Comment

it was a new one..but i did give the bolts all a little tap with the impact driver when i oput them in..not really hard whacks, just some taps to be sure they were tight to me..LOL maybe i am a bit to much of a muscle head in some areas!!!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                it was a new one..but i did give the bolts all a little tap with the impact driver when i oput them in..not really hard whacks, just some taps to be sure they were tight to me..LOL maybe i am a bit to much of a muscle head in some areas!!!! LOL
                Hmmm, light taps probably wouldn't do too much harm. It's also possible that you buggered it while installing the cover. I've had mine off and on quite a few times in the past few weeks and when the magnets get into pulling range, it gets sucked on pretty quickly. When you get the new gasket, try to hold the cover from both sides while installing, and try to gently reinstall it. You'll have to brace yourself for the magnet's pull, but it's doable. The sudden contact from the cover popping on might be enough to damage the gasket. Since you've got a new gasket coming anyways, put the bike on the centerstand and pull the cover. Take a few pics of the old-new gasket, and post them. Someone will probably be able to tell you where it failed.

Comment

yeah i remember the PULL it kinda clicked in real fast..I dont have a camera to post any pics but i will be sure to look everything over with the hubble telescope!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                    ... put the bike on the centerstand and pull the cover.
                    Better yet, put it on the centerstand, put a 2x4 under the left leg to tilt the bike to the right, then pull the cover.

The bike is still plenty stable, and it keeps the oil in the engine.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Better yet, put it on the centerstand, put a 2x4 under the left leg to tilt the bike to the right, then pull the cover.

The bike is still plenty stable, and it keeps the oil in the engine.

Actually a really good idea. I forgot that, since my bike doesn't have any oil in it right now while I wait for my clutch hub to come back. I've tried this myself, and can vouch for the stability of the bike. Also, notice the piece of cardboard with the bolts in in, near the left side of the front wheel? Brilliant way to keep track of which bolts go where.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                        Also, notice the piece of cardboard with the bolts in in, near the left side of the front wheel? Brilliant way to keep track of which bolts go where.
                        Thanks for noticing that. I have several of them for the different covers and different bikes.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Thanks for noticing that. I have several of them for the different covers and different bikes.

I'm thinking about getting a big piece of Lexan from work and scribing all my covers on it, using the gaskets, so I can have a nice, permament one for everything, that will be easily cleanable

Comment

Working...
                          X