koenig eng belt driven magneto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

koenig eng belt driven magneto

Picked this up yesterday from a retired dragbike racer--said he bought it in the early '80s for over $900.00--he never used it--came with coil and wires--I hung it on a parts bike to give you an idea of how it looks--anyone remember these? Google doesn't produce much

--another pic--

Comment

--1 more pic--

Comment

i have 4 of those..
        1 is a front mount.
        find TDC and time it like a car.
        1243 firing order i believe.

Comment

Wicked cool!
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Usually used in Funny Bike or Nitro applications. Just so you know, there is NO rev limiter with these mags! They were used mostly on dragbikes that they didn't want to put a battery on to save weight. Since it is brand new, you can probably find someone to give you 4-5 hundred bucks for it. I wouldn't use one on a sreet bike as it is out there in the open for anyone to mess with & just wouldn't be required. Cool find! Try www.dragbike.com to get more info. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Usually used in Funny Bike or Nitro applications. Just so you know, there is NO rev limiter with these mags! They were used mostly on dragbikes that they didn't want to put a battery on to save weight. Since it is brand new, you can probably find someone to give you 4-5 hundred bucks for it. I wouldn't use one on a sreet bike as it is out there in the open for anyone to mess with & just wouldn't be required. Cool find! Try www.dragbike.com to get more info. Ray.
              i have 3 of these for sale and yes i have rev limiters and 2step that i'll sell separately.
              wyotech is who made these rare ad on boxes.
              how cool would these be on a pro street bike or even a bobber.
              these are self energizing and the hottest spark know to man and they require no battery at all.
              i may post pics in the classified section in a few days.
              or P/M me if your interested.
              i get 300-500 per unit plus extra for the super rare wyotech boxes.

Comment

I'm going to run mine on a street driven '79 gs750e prostreet--13" over swingarm--fiberglass front fender--fiberglass gas tank and fiberglass tail section--along way from ready, but having fun collecting parts and putting it all together--I like to keep people guessing!

Comment

Originally posted by knowyourenemy66 View Post
                  I'm going to run mine on a street driven '79 gs750e prostreet--13" over swingarm--fiberglass front fender--fiberglass gas tank and fiberglass tail section--along way from ready, but having fun collecting parts and putting it all together--I like to keep people guessing!
                  That sounds sweet. Can you post pics or a build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                    That sounds sweet. Can you post pics or a build thread.
                    I think that after dropping a description like that, he's pretty much required to. Cross post it on Old Skool, those guys would get a kick out of it, I'm sure.

Comment

I've got one too. Your guy paid to much. I paid $450 for mine from Koenig in '87 (still have the reciept). Ran it on the funnybike. Have never been willing to part with it as the cool factor is up there, so it resides in a box under the work bench.
                      Koenig and Bill Hahn both made them. You can still get parts from Koenig. The mag is a Mallory sprint and the cap Vertex. WyoTec is out of business, but Autometer sells a ext mag rev limiter that can be purchase through Doug Herbert that will work for around $100. Need to remember that there is no advance with these. It's set it where you want it, clamp the mag down and forget it. Your kill switch will also be different. Your bike uses a nomally closed loop to run and a mag uses a normaly open loop, so a different type of switch is needed, like those used on a old dirt bike.
                      I always used Don Zig magnetos to service my mags but French Grimes does good work too. After 50 passes out it came and off to him for remagnetising and points. (Forgot to mention that they use points as a trigger)
                      I made a bolt on backside belt guard after the belt sawed through the leathers, into my kneecap on one not so smooth pass.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Forgot about that I ran it on my street turbo for a while. worked ok. but sure looked cool

Comment

They look cool, but on a gasoline street bike, they don't make as much power as a Dyna S.
                          Speed Merchant
                          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                          X