Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick R/R wiring Q

Hey guys
    I bumped around on the forum and can't quite find the answer I need. I have a 81 GS750l and mr R/R is just about out the door. So I decided that I would buy a R/R from a 03 Suzy GSXR 600 for they were nearly the same and go with newest most compatable R/R. The new R/R is 5 wire, I know that the 3 black are Stator in wires 1 black red is the Battery and 1 black white is the ground. Now I thought easy job my Old R/R is 5 wire too so I'll just cut out the old R/R wire in the new one and call it a day... Well The old R/R is a little different then the new R/R. It looks like only 2 Stator wires run into it (yellow, white blue) the third stator wire a white green goes into the loom and runs up towards the front of the bike. Now 2 wires run into the loom from the old R/R a solid Red and a white red... Not sure where these go but I'm guessing they are the Battery and sense wire. Now the new R/R has no sence wire and what I gather is I just wire in all 3 stator wires on the bike to the 3 black stator wires on the new R/R then wire the black Red to the Battery and Ground the White Black... Is this correct? For my old R/R is not wired this way. I've read that's how most do it with these GSXR 5 wired R/R, just want to make sure Im doing it right.
    Thanks!
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Swete Jesu NO!

someonme will come an dteach you the right way but do not do this thing you have espoused.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
      Swete Jesu NO!

someonme will come an dteach you the right way but do not do this thing you have espoused.
      Why not?

The correct way to wire it is all three stator wires to the three input wires on the r/r, no matter the color.

That third wire from your original wire that disappeared into the harness actually comes back down as a white/red wire and goes to the r/r. By wiring directly, you are bypassing that extra loop of wire that is not needed and assuring that all the output from the stator goes to the r/r.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Why not?

The correct way to wire it is all three stator wires to the three input wires on the r/r, no matter the color.

That third wire from your original wire that disappeared into the harness actually comes back down as a white/red wire and goes to the r/r. By wiring directly, you are bypassing that extra loop of wire that is not needed and assuring that all the output from the stator goes to the r/r.

When I wired up my Electrosport units, that's pretty much what I did. All three output leads went directly into the R/R. Someone should try to find the engineer that designed the electrical system on these things, and ask him why the hell they thought it was a good idea to throw that control switch loop in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
          When I wired up my Electrosport units, that's pretty much what I did. All three output leads went directly into the R/R. Someone should try to find the engineer that designed the electrical system on these things, and ask him why the hell they thought it was a good idea to throw that control switch loop in there.
          It was there for a very good reason when the bikes actually had switches that could turn the headlights ON and OFF. The switch had two sets of contacts, one would control the power to the light itself, the other set of contacts would switch the third leg of the stator to the R/R.

When the USA started mandating that the headlight was ON all the time, other countries still had the switch, so Suzuki only changed the part of the harness that went to the left handgrip and put in the little loop that re-directed the stator wire back down to the R/R. When all the markets were the bikes were sold started requiring headlights ON all the time, Suzuki went ahead and changed the main harness to eliminate the extra wire. Not sure what year that happened, but it was probably mid-'80s, right as the GS series was ending.

Now, for those who still have an operating headlight switch, the bike charges better with the headlight ON.
          Yep, the third leg of the stator puts out just a little more than the headlight uses, so the bike charges just a bit better with the light ON.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            It was there for a very good reason when the bikes actually had switches that could turn the headlights ON and OFF. The switch had two sets of contacts, one would control the power to the light itself, the other set of contacts would switch the third leg of the stator to the R/R.

When the USA started mandating that the headlight was ON all the time, other countries still had the switch, so Suzuki only changed the part of the harness that went to the left handgrip and put in the little loop that re-directed the stator wire back down to the R/R. When all the markets were the bikes were sold started requiring headlights ON all the time, Suzuki went ahead and changed the main harness to eliminate the extra wire. Not sure what year that happened, but it was probably mid-'80s, right as the GS series was ending.

Now, for those who still have an operating headlight switch, the bike charges better with the headlight ON.
            Yep, the third leg of the stator puts out just a little more than the headlight uses, so the bike charges just a bit better with the light ON.

Interesting! Thanks for that, I completely forgot about the headlamp law. That makes sense now. My brain was trying to grapple with the concept of a multi-million dollar company wasting extra wire, manpower, and money on a circuit that seems to serve no purpose. The only thing I could figure was that is was intentionally designed that way, to sell replacement parts. A bit cynical, so I'm glad you've restored my faith in humanity!

Comment

My pleasure.

We are here to educate and to entertain.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

I am 100% educated and entertained! Lol Thanks Guys!!!!

-Jedz
                Jedz Moto
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2002 Honda Reflex 250
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                X